In the ever-changing media landscape, core journalistic skills are more at a premium than ever. The mix of broadcasting and online writing in this intensely practical course sharpens the defining elements of cutting-edge journalism. Using professional-standard studios and newsrooms, you’ll be encouraged to take key roles as editors, news editors, convergence editors, and reporters on all of our media outlets.
Accredited by the Broadcast Journalism Training Council (BJTC), the UK’s largest industry-backed higher education training body for multiplatform, broadcast and mobile journalism, this course will provide you with the necessary skills to undertake a successful career in this fast-paced industry.
- Develop your skills in news writing, TV production, radio production, digital production, photography and web content management
- Gain an in-depth understanding of media regulation, issues with press and broadcasting freedoms and approaches to the role of journalism and journalists, along with ethical dilemmas and professional codes of conduct
- Build specialist knowledge through your choice of optional units
- Attend weekly seminars structured in a news day format where you’ll learn how to produce your own radio and TV bulletins and packages
- Produce a portfolio of eye-catching, strikingly original stories to present to potential employers
- Publish your work on The Breaker, the news and features site run by BU’s MA Journalism students
- Benefit from BU’s close industry links through a three-week work placement with a major news organisation
- Learn from award-winning journalists with experience in local, national and international news
- Our graduates have gone on to work with a variety of organisations including the BCC, Sky, Sky Sports, CNN and many more.