The Master of Teaching (Secondary) is a two year program (4 subjects per semester full-time).
Below is a sample subject sequence, although this can be varied depending on subject availability, pre-requisite needs and the student's personal circumstances:
- 10 compulsory core subjects
- 4 curriculum subjects
- 1 compulsory action research subject
- 1 elective
To qualify for the award of the degree of Master of Teaching (Secondary) a candidate shall complete at least 160 credit points, including satisfactory completion of the core subjects:
Each student must take two disciplines made up of two curriculum subjects each totalling four subjects over the two years. These subjects will qualify the student to teach up to Year 12 in their two chosen disciplines. In order to be eligible to take their two chosen disciplines they must meet the pre-requite demands from their bachelor degree qualifications. The students' degree transcripts will be reviewed to confirm eligibility to study the selected disciplines.
The following subjects are currently available, other subjects will be added in time but if the student wishes to take a subject not available from this list, they can elect to study one or more subjects through another provider that holds a memorandum of understanding with us. The subjects are:
- CRS403 Curriculum Studies - English: Part A
- CRS503 Curriculum Studies - English: Part B
- CREATIVE ARTS
- CRS431 Curriculum Studies - Drama: Part A
- CRS531 Curriculum Studies - Drama: Part B
- CRS433 Curriculum Studies - Music: Part A
- CRS533 Curriculum Studies - Music: Part B
- CRS435 Curriculum Studies - Visual Arts: Part A
- CRS535 Curriculum Studies - Visual Arts: Part B
- HSIE (Human Society and Its Environment)
- CRS450 Curriculum Studies - Commerce
- CRS550 Curriculum Studies - Business Studies
- CRS502 Curriculum Studies - Economics
- CRS412 Curriculum Studies - Geography: Part A
- CRS512 Curriculum Studies - Geography: Part B
- CRS413 Curriculum Studies - History: Part A
- CRS513 Curriculum Studies - History: Part B
- CRS532 Curriculum Studies - Studies of Religion
- CRS414 Curriculum Studies - Mathematics: Part A
- CRS514 Curriculum Studies - Mathematics: Part B
- PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT, HEALTH AND PHYSICAL EDUCATION
- CRS411 Curriculum Studies - Personal Development, Health and Physical Education: Part A
- CRS511 Curriculum Studies - Personal Development, Health and Physical Education: Part B
- CRS418 Curriculum Studies - Information and Software Technology
- CRS518 Curriculum Studies - Information Processes and Technology
Finally,students are to select ONE taken from accredited Level 8 or 9 subjects offered by Alphacrucis College, such as:
- EDU522 The Self-Reflective Educator
- EDU520 Educational Leadership
- EDUXXX Independent Guided Study
Master of Teaching (Secondary) Scholarships
Any new applicant accepted as a full-time student is eligible to apply for a one year full-fee competitive scholarship that, if successful would cover their course fees for four subjects per semester for two semesters. On occasion this scholarship may be split into two half-fee scholarships, to cover two subjects per semester for two semesters for two full-time students.
We are now accepting applications for Master of Teaching (Secondary) Scholarships. To apply please, click here
The Master of Teaching (Secondary) equips graduates with an accredited professional teaching qualification by TEQSA with BOSTES accreditation pending.
Do you love young people and get a thrill when you see the lights go on in their hearts and minds? Do you connect with the youth in your church? Are you excited about working with young people reaching for their dreams? Are you keen to equip your own future with our professional qualification to teach in Independent or Public Secondary Schools?
This program is for graduates who sense a calling to secondary school teaching and have an appropriate undergraduate degree from a recognised institution. We take students at pre-service level and current teachers seeking to upgrade their qualifications. Our Master of Teaching (Secondary) is a new program for us but why not hear and read what some of our students are saying about our current program?
We are passionate about tailoring our learning and teaching to students' individual needs, in small classes where each student is known and mentored by their subject's lecturer. Students are never a number!
Our signature delivery style is blended learning, where students come on campus for their one week's face-to-face seminar for each subject and complete the remainder of their study online. However, all of our subjects can now be studied fully online, with the exception of the professional experience placements which require 60 days in schools.
Dr Jim Twelves
Dean of Education, PhD, MEd, Grad Dip Ed Admin, PGCE, BSc(Hons)