The PGCE Secondary Design and Technology Programme at Swansea is a supportive, well organised, carefully structured course which places much emphasis on the use of design and its application to the world of technology.
The course also develops skills in CAD and CAM as well as other forms of graphic communication and uses creativity to develop and plan effective learning resources for teaching at secondary level.
In order to develop a range of skills across all focus areas of Design and Technology, projects will be set which include working with textiles, wood, plastics and metal. Health and Safety training is also an important feature of the course. Training in safe working practice with machinery in the workshop is a key part of the course, whatever the specialism, and students also have the opportunity to undertake a basic food hygiene course.
If Welsh is your first language, you will be able to undertake teaching experience placements in Welsh medium schools, receive session handouts through the medium of Welsh, have tutorials in Welsh, and receive Subject Mentor lesson observations and feedback in Welsh.
See enclosed the course calendar for 2014-15.
- High quality new and well established staff with recent and relevant experience of secondary school provision.
- You will be prepared to teach the National Curriculum for Design and Technology.
- Develop theoretical and practical subject expertise through school experience placements, workshops.
- Guidance and experience in planning, delivering and assessing the 11-18 Design and Technology curriculum.
- English and Welsh medium student provision.
- We are geographically well placed to serve the whole of South Wales.
- Our programme is the largest provider of Secondary PGCE training in Wales.
- Long established English and Welsh medium partnership schools and very experienced school /college mentors.
- Excellent subject and ICT resources available for students.
- Post-course CPD opportunities.
- We have the best employment rate throughout Wales.
- Emphasis is placed on the job-search process to gain experience in preparing for an interview for a Design and Technology position in a secondary school
- Module 01: Principles of Teaching, Learning and Pedagogy in Secondary Education (Level 6 - English only. Post-graduate or Professional Graduate Cert.Ed. pathway available)
- Module 02: Skills and learning across the Curriculum (Level 6 - Welsh or English. Post-graduate or Professional Graduate Cert.Ed. pathway available)
- Module 03: Investigating Issues in Secondary Education (Level 6 and 7 - Welsh or English. Post-graduate or Professional Graduate Cert.Ed. pathway available)
- Module 04: Curriculum Development and Enhancement (Level 6 - Professional Graduate Cert.Ed. and Level 7 - Post-graduate Cert.Ed.. Both English only)
- Module 05: Professional Teaching Experience (Level 6 - English or Welsh/bilingual. Post-graduate or Professional Graduate Cert.Ed. pathway available)
PGCE with QTS
- Susan Diana Smith
Module 01 Principles of teaching, learning and pedagogy in secondary education
- Coursework: 8000 words
- Literature reviews/ Reflective presentation / Evaluative commentary
Module 02 Skills across the curriculum
- Coursework - 4000 words
- Conference style paper
Module 03a or 03 Investigating issues in secondary education
- Coursework : 4000 words equivalent
- An investigation using problem based learning & critical evaluation.
Module 04a or 04 Curriculum development and enhancement
- Coursework : 4000 words equivalent
- A critical analysis of a teaching intervention
Professional Teaching Experience
- Placement [100%]
- Achievement of QTS evidenced by PDP and formative and summative assessments by mentors, senior mentors and tutors. Moderated by University internal and external examiners
The South West Wales Centre of Teacher Education has excellent graduate employment rates with 99% of graduates going into employment or further study (DLHE 14/15).
Many school and college departments, both locally and nationally, are staffed with several of our teachers and many of our trainees have gone on to forge successful teaching careers at strategic, professional and management levels at home and abroad.
Our PGCE graduates usually remain in close touch with us as they make their careers in the teaching profession and they often become Subject Mentors on the programme. This creates a very strong, sustainable professional network of teachers which is a rich source of continuing professional development.
Recently our PGCE Design and Technology graduates have gone on to work as Secondary teachers in many independent and state schools in Wales, England and abroad including (but not limited) to: Birchgrove Comprehensive School (Swansea), Wycombe High School (Buckinghamshire), Milford Haven School (Pembrokeshire), Dyffryn Comprehensive School (Port Talbot), Collingwood College (Camberly), Amman Valley Comprehensive School (Carmarthenshire).
If you are called to an interview you would need to undertake 30 minute Literacy and Numeracy tests and if you wanted to follow the course through the medium of Welsh, an additional Welsh Literacy test. You would be asked to present a design portfolio of your work and experience, which supports your application to the Design and Technology course. There would also be an informal group discussion, and a formal interview with the subject tutor and a school mentor.
You would need to demonstrate a passion and enthusiasm for Design and Technology and an understanding of the various focus areas within the subject.
- PGCE Primary with QTS