The Foundation Degree in Inclusive Studies is specifically suited for Teaching Assistants. It is a 3 year course and lectures are delivered on Saturday at the Carmarthen Campus or in your local community on twilight sessions.
A variety of learning styles are used and the course provides opportunities to get the latest subject knowledge and exploration of recent research in subject areas. Completion of this degree could lead to more responsibilities in the work place.
Work can be completed in either Welsh or English and there is an opportunity to complete the whole degree course through the medium of Welsh.
After completing this course there is an opportunity to study for a further 1 year and do the BA Social Inclusion (Inclusive Education) course which is again offered as a flexi provision and delivered on Saturdays or as twilight sessions.
This is a course that has been designed for Teaching Assistants and will have modules to support school work. It provides opportunities for students to develop a range of skills which transfer easily to the world of work. These include:
- Communicating effectively
- Researching, preparing and delivering presentations
- Making effective use of visual aids
- Working collaboratively or as part of a team.
- Working to deadlines
- An understanding of policy and its links to practice
- Reflective practice
A regard for relevant National Occupational Standards (e.g. HLTA: Higher Level Teaching Assistants)
The following modules will be studied throughout the 3 years:
- Developing Key Skills in the Workplace
- Academic Study Skills for Success
- Social Inclusion in Practice
- Providing Inclusive Support for Dyslexia
- Additional Needs in Context
- Numbers Count
- Supporting Literacy in the Workplace
- Exploring Behaviour and Interventions in the Learning Environment
- Keeping Our Children Safe
- Children's Mental Health and Wellbeing
- Working in Partnership
- Jean Voyle Williams
- Andrea Cindy Hunt
The course has no examinations and has a range of assessments to suit the needs of the students e.g.
- Seminar presentations
- Resource Pack
- Poster Presentation
- Personal Project/ Case Study
- Promotional Leaflet
If you have registered on Welsh 'medium modules you can complete all assessments through the medium of Welsh
Many of the students decide to go on to do the BA Social Inclusion (Inclusive Education) course which is for 1 year and is a flexi provision.
Following this some go on to follow a PGCE course.
Employment opportunities are as follows:
- Charity work
- Community Helper Sure Start
- PHSE School co-ordinator
- Playgroup Supervisor
- Pupil Support Officer
- Speech and Language Therapy Assistant
- Manager of School Nurture group
- Senior Teaching Assistant
- Higher Learning Teaching Assistant
- Eco School co-ordinator
- Healthy Schools co-ordinator
- Foundation Degree Learning Support
- BA Education Studies: Primary
- BA Education Studies