Epidemiology is a multidisciplinary field and we have a number of world-renowned professionals, including epidemiologists, statisticians, clinicians, and public health consultants, who work as a team to deliver extremely high standards of teaching and research.
Our work has involved both developed and developing populations and several of our students are from overseas. Some conduct studies within their own country and/or similar studies in the UK.
There is a wide range of expertise in the division including knowledge of the conduct and analyses of large community based studies, case-control studies, cohorts, randomized controlled trials, and meta-analysis as well as use of large datasets from general practices and other sources.
Major research topics:
- Gastrointestinal disease (Gastrointestinal Biomedical Research Unit)
- Tobacco control (UK Centre for Tobacco Control Studies)
- Respiratory disease (Respiratory Biomedical Research Unit)
Growing research areas:
- Haematology epidemiology/bone marrow transplantation studies
- Falls and other problems in the elderly population
- Musculoskeletal disease