The Institute for Transport Studies (ITS) encompasses a broad spectrum of transport related research, on the land and in the air, from walking and cycling to air transport, and most things in between. This provides numerous opportunities to develop and apply research skills, whatever your background. A multi and inter-disciplinary approach is a fundamental aspect of ITS' research vitality and this is reflected in the diversity of our student cohort. Students are drawn from a range of disciplines such as engineering, economics, mathematics, operational research, computing, psychology, environment, geography and social sciences.
Research Groups and Themes
ITS is organised into five research groups:
Dr Charisma Choudhury
Economics and Appraisal
Spatial Modelling and Dynamics
Dr Haibo Chen
Social and Political Sciences
Dr Caroline Mullen
With such a large and diverse range of research undertaken within ITS, it is difficult to fully capture the range of opportunities for research study, but they are brought together within a set of research themes and individual topics.
Each research student becomes a member of the relevant group and is encouraged to play an active role in a range of activities. Students are highly valued by ITS and despite often being at the early stages of their research careers, are expected to make important contributions.
In addition to research study linked with specific projects, prospective students are encouraged to suggest their own topic, whether or not it aligns closely with one of our research themes. This could be in response to a specific need in the transport sector, as identified by industry or other stakeholders.
More detailed information about each of the research groups and the topics of current students can be found on the ITS website.
- PhD Transport Studies, full-time, part-time or split-site
- Short-stay Research Visit
Why Choose ITS?
- Your research study at ITS, and the University of Leeds qualification will be internationally recognised and respected
- You will be supervised by research active staff who are at the cutting edge of their field
- You will develop skills that are in demand by industry and academia
- You will be part of a friendly, supportive Institute within a large multi-cultural University
- You will join a prestigious network of ITS alumni in influential positions world-wide
- ITS Postgraduate Research Website
- Suggested topics list
- How to apply
- Fees, funding and scholarships
For further information about research degree programmes, advice about suitability or any other aspect of studying at ITS, please contact:
Postgraduate Research Admissions
Tel: +44 (0)113 343 5326