Study options for this course
University CertificateOnline6 - 12 months
January, May, SeptemberGBP 2415 per totalGBP 2415 per total
You may wish to complete this programme as professional development or because you are interested in psychology. However, by completing this course, you have the choice to progress to our BSc (Hons) Psychology or our Postgraduate Diploma in Psychology programmes. The entry criteria varies depending on your preferred career path.
Option 1: Entry criteria to complete the University Certificate in Psychology and progress to the BSc (Hons) Psychology:
If you meet the entry criteria below and have successfully achieved a final average grade of 50% and have passed all the core shared* online Psychology BSc (Hons) / online University Certificate Psychology modules, you will be offered automatic progression to the online Psychology BSc (Hons) programme.
The credits you have gained will count towards your first year of study.
For all other students who have completed the online University Certificate Psychology, progression on to the online Psychology BSc (Hons) will be at the discretion of the programme leader/academic lead.
You will need:
- GCSE Maths (minimum grade C) (or equivalent)*
- GCSE English Language (minimum grade C) (or equivalent)**
- We also accept Access qualifications (with a grade of 22 merits or distinction). You must also be 18 years of age or over.
We will need to consider all the information that you’ve included in your application. We want to see that you’re enthusiastic and motivated to take this course and that you have the potential to benefit from studying this course through online learning. Entry to the programme is at the discretion of the Academic Lead and prior to beginning your study you may need to speak to them.
*Students wishing to progress to the BSc (Hons) Psychology must select 60 credits from the following modules: Introduction to Social Psychology, Introduction to Developmental Psychology, Introduction to Cognitive Psychology, Introduction to Biological Psychology, Psychology: Traditions and Skills, and also Research Methods and Analysis in Psychology. To progress onto the BSc you will need to pass all your modules and receive an average grade of 50% or over.
Option 2: Entry criteria for University Certificate in Psychology to progress to our Postgraduate Diploma in Psychology
If you are studying this course to progress onto the PG Dip programme, you will need to meet the entry criteria below:
An undergraduate degree with at least 2nd class Honours (in any subject) from a UK university, or equivalent overseas qualification – at least a 2:2
An undergraduate degree from an overseas institution that is equivalent to the above UK qualifications. However, if you have overseas qualifications, we do advise that you gain the UK equivalent. It is also important that you have a good standard of written and spoken English.
For both options 1 and 2, if English is not your first language you will need one of the following English Language qualifications to gain entry onto the University Certificate in Psychology**.
- IELTS 6.0**
- TOEFL 550 (paper based) 213 (computer based) or 80 (internet based)
- Pearson Test of Academic English: 51
- Cambridge Advanced Certificate: Pass
- London Tests of English: we accept a Level 4 for undergraduate courses
- International GCE 0 Level English Language: Grade C
- International GCSE English/English as a Second Language: Grade C**
* If you don't have GCSE Maths then you can study our Certificate of Credit in Introduction to Maths in Preparation for Higher Education which is a 20 credit module designed to help you develop your mathematical skills in preparation for higher education.
**If you have a minimum of IELTS level 4.5 you can study our Certificate of Credit in English for Academic Purposes which we will accept as evidence that you are able to perform at a suitable level of IELTS 6.0. We will also accept the Certificate of Credit as evidence that you can perform at GCSE level.