The PGCE programme aims to provide you with an opportunity to:
- develop as an enthusiastic and committed professional
- become an effective team member, be able to contribute to a variety of groups and disciplines
- promote and value effective professional relationships between groups of pupils and adults in an educational setting
- develop your ability to analyse complex concepts and professional situations in order to understand how, why and when learning best occurs and act on this in the classroom
- achieve mastery of a comprehensive range of complex and specialised skills for planning, teaching, assessing, recording and class management
- become a critically reflective, effective and flexible practitioner
- become a creative and adaptable problem solver, with an understanding of the need to continue lifelong professional learning.
What can this course lead to?
At the end of this course, you will have qualified teacher status, which will enable you to apply for a job as a design and technology teacher at a secondary school immediately.
Resources and facilities
We have several excellent resources to help you excel in your studies. All students have access to our Blackboard Virtual Learning Environment which can provide easy online access to course information, course materials, relevant web links and an online discussion board.
We have a well-stocked library and a Learning Gateway, which offers an interactive, flexible space to study. You can also take advantage of The Library and Student Services (LiSS), which provides learning resources, equipment, student advice, skills training and study space.