Visit our MA Art and Design in Education website.
This masters degree will:
- enable you to share and investigate your educational experiences within a theoretical and historical framework
- address key issues from different perspectives
- consider, critique and encourage you to use alternative research methodologies and to apply them to your personal research
- explore the relationship between practical and theoretical modes of enquiry, and enable you to use evidence to support an educational argument.
This masters degree provides the opportunity to:
- explore and debate issues in art and design education
- draw on your experience as an artist and educator as the basis for research
- engage with art, craft and design practice as a means to understand learning through art
- undertake practical studio-based work and/or educational placements
- work with contemporary art galleries.
Artists, arts administrators, designers, gallery and museum educators, lecturers, primary and secondary teachers and other suitably qualified professionals.Entry requirements
A good honours degree or equivalent (usually in an area of art, craft, design or a closely related field), plus appropriate teaching/educational experience. At interview, we will ask you to present a portfolio that provides evidence of your work as an artist, craftsperson or designer and as an educator.Core topics
- Artefacts as an educational resource
- Contemporary art and artists in education
- Learning in museums and galleries Related topics
- Issues in art and design education
- Learning and teaching in art and design.
By coursework assignments of up to 5,000 words, including essays and a practical presentation. For the dissertation, you will choose one of three modes:
- a thesis of 18,000 to 20,000 words
- studio-based practice and an exhibition, plus an 8,000-word to 10,000-word report
- a placement and exhibition plus an 8,000-word to 10,000-word report.
Face-to-face evening sessions and some whole-day blocks.Where do our students go?
Graduates of this masters degree are currently working as:
- art foundation course director
- graphic design lecturer
- secondary school head of arts
- freelance art educator in contemporary spaces.
- Issues in Art and Design Education
- Learning and Teaching in Art and Design
- Contemporary Art and Artists in Education
- Material & Virtual Cultures: Trans-forming The Museum And Gallery Experience