Celtic Civilisation traces the history of the Celtic peoples,focusing on Ireland's affinities with the outside world, its European inheritance in prehistoric times, and its early influence on European culture.
As you follow the Celtic peoples from central Europe to Ireland, and from the early Iron Age into the Middle Ages, you will study topics such as Celtic literature, mythology, languages, learning and the Celtic saints.
As you progress, you are encouraged to develop your skills in close reading of the sources and in expressing your ideas in essay form. Those taking courses in related subjects such as Irish history, archaeology, folklore, or Irish language and literature will find Celtic Civilisation complements their studies in these areas.
Celtic Civilisation offers a broad new perspective on early Irish culture, revealing Ireland's early European inheritance as well as its links with other Celtic regions.
The course requires no previous knowledge or language skills andopens up a rich world of myth, legend, poetry, history and traditions, providing an understanding of the past that will enriches your view of the present. It complements courses in related areas such as archaeology, history or Irish language. Moreover, it provides you with transferableinterdisciplinary and analytical skills.
Year 1 Modules:
CC1111The Ancient Celts (5 credits);
CC1112Celtic Religion and Mythology (5 credits);
CC1113 Celtic Literature(5 credits)
Year 2 Modules:
Saints and Scholars in Medieval Europe; Celtic Saints; The Brehon Laws; The Celtic Languages; Early Irish Spirituality; Directed Study in Medieval Celtic Culture; Celtic Women
Year 3*/4 Modules:
The Mabinogi: Legends of Medieval Wales; Ireland and Scotland; Otherworld Journeys and Saintly Visions in Celtic Literature; Irish Historical Tales; The Finn Cycle; Research Project; Early Irish I; Early Irish II; The Roots of the Arthurian Legend
*BA International students spend third year studying in an approved foreign university in a country of the student's major language or subject. They will return to complete their final year in UCC in Year 4.
See the College Calendar for more detailed information on the Programme and the Book of Modulesfora more detailed description of Programme Modules.
Course Code: CK101, CK108
Course Title: Arts
Subject Title: Celtic Civilisation
College: Arts, Celtic Studies and Social Sciences
Duration: 3 or 4 years
Teaching Mode: Full-time
Qualifications: BA (Hons)
NFQ Level: Level 8
Costs: Full-time EU/EEA/Swiss State undergraduate students may be exempt from paying tuition fees. The State will pay the tuition fees for students who satisfy the Free Fees Criteria. In 2016/17 the Student Contribution Charge will be EUR 3,000 and the Capitation Fee will be EUR 165.
2017 Entry Requirements: Refer to CK101 and CK108
Entry Points: CK101: 350 in 2015. Points may vary each year.
Expected lecture hours:Celtic Civilisation modules normally comprise 24 hours of lectures, accompanied by PowerPoint presentations and handouts. Materials presented in lectures, together with supplementary materials, are made available on each module's Blackboard (UCC's virtual learning system) site.
Expected reading hours:You will be provided with reading lists. Recommended books as well as course-specific sourcebooks are placed in the Boole Library's Open Reserve for you. Tutorials accompany the three-part first-year module. Like all Arts subjects, Celtic Civilisation enables you to learn how to analyse and present material through class essays.
Written exams will take place before Christmas and in May. Not all modules will have formal examinations. Many modules use other types of assessment. For the Directed Study in Medieval Culture Module,students will be responsible for executing an extended research project Â— the assessment will be based on an annotated bibliography (25% of total mark), a presentation to department staff and fellow students (25%), and an essay (50%).
Refer to CK101and CK108.
Further Contact Information
Professor John Carey
Head of Department
T: +353 (0)21 490 2999
Ciara NÃ ChurnÃ¡in
T:+353 (0)21 490 3360