Learn how to effectively run a data security risk assessment for your organisation with Southampton Data Science Academy's Data Security (Non-Technical) course.
If you work with personal data on a day-to-day basis, you’ll know how important it is from both a legal and ethical standpoint to ensure that data remains secure.
Whether you’re a manager, supervisor, or administrator, this 6-week online course will teach you how to effectively conduct cyber security risk assessments for your organisation so that personal data – as defined in the EU’s General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) – is never compromised.
Developed by the University of Southampton’s Web Science Institute – pioneers in the field of data science – the course takes a risk-based approach to learning and utilises real-life examples to make sure you’re well-equipped with the specialist skills and knowledge you need to process personal data securely and mitigate cyber security risks within your organisation.
The course is a great fit if you’re:
- Looking to gain a better understanding of your legal responsibilities when it comes to managing personal data
- Wanting to learn how to conduct an effective cyber security risk assessment within your organisation
- Looking to study a data security course flexibly online, without having to interrupt your work or personal commitments
Some of the topics you’ll cover during the course are:
- Risk assessment and mitigation strategies
- Cyber security in a data science environment
- Identifying perpetrators of cyber-attacks
- Applying cyber controls to mitigate cyber-attacks
- Conducting and producing risk assessment reports
- Legal and ethical aspects of cyber data security
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to:
- Understand the need for security governance and the legal aspects of cyber security
- Identify the types of cyber vulnerabilities and threats to your organisation
- Mitigate the data security risks within your organisation
- Identify the costs to implement various risk mitigation strategies
- Guide your organisation through the complexities and risks of managing personal data
- Conduct risk impact assessments for your organisation
The course is offered completely online, with assessments being conducted through coursework.
Our team of industry-leading teaching staff will guide your learnings through:
- Personal and group tutorials
- Online exercises
- Discussion forums, where you can discuss coursework and share opinions with your expert tutors and global network of students
- Independent study
Find out more about Southampton Data Science Academy's Data Security (Non-Technical) course.