This course is now full for September 2021 entry. You may still apply, but your application may be held on a waiting list (either prior to or following an interview). If your application is on a waiting list, we will inform you if a space becomes available by the end of June. Please note: there is still space on the Foundation Year option for this course and applications are still being processed for this entry route.
Why study Operating Department Practice at BU?
- ODPs work with surgeons, anaesthetists and other healthcare professions to ensure every operation is as safe and effective as possible, to save or improve patients’ lives
- Preparing you for placement and beyond, our newly built facilities include a operating theatre simulation suite with highly accurate and life-like manikins
- Get hands-on experience working in surgical theatres with multiple and varied practical work placements that make up approximately 60% of your time on the course
- You will be taught by actively practicing lecturers or those with perioperative experience
- Placements are diverse and career options are too: you could work in pre-assessment, intensive care, A&E, patient transfer teams and other more specialised areas of care.
- This three-year course is approved by the Health & Care Professions Council (HCPC) meaning that, upon successful completion of the programme, you will be eligible to apply to the Health & Care Professions Council for registration as an Operating Department Practitioner.
Funding support: ODP students on courses may be eligible for a non-repayable government training grant of at least £5,000 a year. Please note that this funding is not eligible for students on the Foundation Year, however you will be able to access it once you complete the foundation year and move onto the degree.
Find out more information about the funding: https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/nhs-learning-support-fund.
Foundation Year: We have a Foundation Year option for UK students who do not meet the entry requirements for the degree course. This additional year of study will give you a grounding in the scientific skills needed to prepare you for the ODP degree, building your confidence, knowledge and skills for further study. After successful completion of the Foundation Year, you will progress to the full degree and begin your ODP study.
The Foundation Year will be based at the Talbot Campus, Bournemouth. If you wish to study the degree at the Yeovil Campus, you will be able to choose this study location upon completing the foundation year in Bournemouth.