Study options for this course
Notes about fees for this course
Home - Scotland/EU students: £1,820 per year
Home - UK students: £9,250 per year
Overseas/International students: £19,800 per year
Standard entry requirement
The standard entry requirement is:
- SQA Highers: AAAAA - AABB by end of S5. If you haven't achieved this by the end of S5 we may consider your application based on a strong performance in S6. A minimum of BBB must be achieved in one set of exams and by end of S5. (Revised 21/06/2019 from 'AAAA - AABB'.)
- A Levels: AAA - ABB. (Revised 21/06/2019 from 'AAB - ABB'.)
- IB: 43 points (grades 776 at HL) - 34 points (grades 655 at HL). (Revised 21/06/2019 from '40 (766 at HL) - 34 (655 at HL)'.)
Minimum entry requirement
The minimum entry requirement for widening access applicants is:
- SQA Highers: ABBB by end of S6. BBB must be achieved in one set of exams by end of S5.
- A Levels: ABB.
- IB: 34 points (grades 655 at HL).
More information for widening access applicants
The grades used to meet our entry requirements must include:
- SQA: no specific Higher subjects required. National 5: Mathematics at grade B, a language other than English at grade A and English at grade C.
- A Levels: no specific A Level subjects required. GCSEs: Mathematics at grade B or 6, a language other than English at grade A or 7 and English at grade C or 4.
- IB: HL: no specific subjects required. SL: Mathematics at grade 5 or Mathematical Studies at grade 6, a language other than English at grade 6 and English at grade 5.
Please note that the Chinese programmes involve beginners language study and are not suitable for native or near-native speakers.
Please note that for degrees that have a subject requirement of a language other than English, students may not use their own native language to meet this requirement. In these instances, English or an alternative language other than native will be acceptable.
Find out more about entry requirements
We welcome applications from students studying a wide range of international qualifications.
Entry requirements by country
International Foundation Programme
If you are an international student and your school qualifications are not accepted for direct entry to the University you may be eligible for admission to this degree programme through our International Foundation Programme.
International Foundation Programme
We welcome applications from mature students and accept a range of qualifications.
Mature applicant qualifications
English Language Requirements
You must demonstrate a level of English language competency at a level that will enable you to succeed in your studies, regardless of your nationality or country of residence.
SQA, GCSE and IB
For SQA, GCSE and IB students, unless a higher level is specified in the stated entry requirements, a pass is required in English at the following grades or higher:
- SQA National 5 Grade C
- SQA Standard Grade 3
- SQA Intermediate 1 Grade A
- SQA Intermediate 2 Grade C
- GCSE Grade Cor 4
- Level 2 Certificate Grade C
- IB Standard Level Grade 5 (English ab initio is not accepted for entry)
English language tests
We accept the following English language qualifications at the grades specified:
- IELTS Academic module overall 7.0 with 6.0 in each component
- TOEFL-iBT 100 or above with 20 in each section
- Cambridge English: Advanced or Proficiency overall 185 with 169 in each component
- Pearson Test of English (Academic): Total 67 with at least 56 in each "Communicative Skills" section
- Trinity ISE: ISE III with a pass in all four components
We also accept a wider range of international qualifications and tests.
English language qualifications must be no more than three and a half years old from the start date of the programme you are applying to study, unless you are using IELTS, TOEFL, PTE or Trinity ISE, in which case it must be no more than two years old.
English language requirements
(Revised 05/06/2019 to provide more accurate/comprehensive information.)