Today’s world of photography is an exciting, but highly-competitive one. It takes up-to-date, expert knowledge and skills and a critical, global perspective to succeed at an international level.
World-renowned for its creative and innovative approach to teaching, Falmouth Flexible’s online MA Photography will give you the knowledge and skills you need to meaningfully engage with the technologically and socially-evolving medium of photography.
Under the guidance of our expert team of teaching staff and backed up with the support and ideas of other established and aspiring photographers from around the world in a global online environment, you’ll have the opportunity to share your approaches to photography and collaboratively explore critical perspectives.
At the end of your studies, you’ll not only have a world-class postgraduate qualification in photography, but also a portfolio of publishable work which will see you well on your way to making your career aspirations a reality.
The course is a great fit for your career goals if you’d like to:
- Become an inquisitive, innovative and outward-looking professional photographer
- Be able to embrace multi-disciplined approaches to your work
- Confidently collaborate with other professionals on a global scale
- Sustain the quality of your practice by being able to analyse and discuss it from a range of critical perspectives
- Inspire others and take leading roles within the arts sector and creative industries
The modules you’ll cover during the course are:
- Positions and Practice – Explore current themes in photography and visual culture and identify where your current practice currently fits within the sphere of contemporary photography.
- Informing Contexts – Examine the many ways in which contemporary practice is enriched through critical and theoretical contextualisation. You’ll consider your own practice critically from historical, philosophical and ethical perspectives.
- Surfaces and Strategies – Examine the relationship between the photographic image and its diverse methods and modes of presentation. You’ll explore and test possible outlets for displaying your work, and experiment with new creative methodologies for your practice.
- Sustainable Prospects – Understand the operational considerations you need to make as a photographic practitioner, from a practical and ethical perspective. You’ll explore the range of opportunities within the visual arts and creative industries and examine possible outlets to share your practice and engage with new audiences and markets.
- Final Major Project – Finalise and produce the critically and professionally-informed project you defined and developed earlier in the course. This will include arrangements for its public presentation, and the preparation of supportive material that contextualises your research.
You can choose to:
- Study completely online;
- Or study online and attend optional face-to-face networking events
Whichever option you choose, throughout your studies you’ll be supported by a team of industry experts who will guide your learnings through:
- Online presentations to introduce you to key concepts
- Small group and class discussions to encourage peer interaction and collaboration
- Online critiques to test your knowledge and ideas, and as a valuable opportunity to get feedback from your peers and tutors
- Individual and group tutorials
- Independent study