For more information about Civil Engineering at City, University of London, please visit the webpage using the button above.

The award
MPhil, PhD

How long you will study
3 - 4 years

Domestic course fees
GBP 4500 per year

How you will study

Course starts
October, February

International course fees
GBP 9600 per year

All study options

About Civil Engineering at City, University of London

Research degrees are available in MPhil/PhD in Civil Engineering, MPhil/PhD in Geotechnical Engineering, MPhil/PhD in Hydraulic Engineering and MPhil/PhD in Structural Engineering.


There are four research routes available within the Department of Civil Engineering:

  • MPhil/PhD in Civil Engineering
  • MPhil/PhD in Geotechnical Engineering
  • MPhil/PhD in Hydraulic Engineering
  • MPhil/PhD in Structural Engineering

Research takes place under two Research Centres; Structural and Geotechnical Engineering and Fluid Engineering. The latter is the home of research in numerical modelling of fully non-linear hydrodynamics, which focuses on the development of numerical analysis methods for the analysis of the interaction between breaking waves and floating or fixed structures. The remainder of the research takes place within the Structural and Geotechnical Engineering Centre. In Structural Engineering extensive structural laboratory facilities are combined with the development of advanced finite element-based techniques, supporting both the design of structurally efficient buildings and the dynamic analysis of structures subjected to seismic excitation, impact damage or blast loading. In geotechnical engineering, experimental work focusing on the response of complex underground geotechnical structures using our recently refurbished geotechnical centrifuge facility is combined with an investigation of the links between the mesoscopic and macroscopic properties of particulate materials and the influence of these on construction processes.


Entry requirements

A good honours degree (normally no less than a second class honours degree from a UK University or an equivalent qualification) in an appropriate subject. Some subjects also require an appropriate Masters qualification.

English requirements

Prospective students whose mother tongue is not English must meet any one or a combination of the following:

  • A score of 6.5 in IELTS
  • The award of a Masters degree the teaching of which was in English

Please note that due to changes in the UKVI's list of SELTs we are no longer able to accept TOEFL as evidence of English language for students who require a CAS as of April 2014.

Please note also that the UK Border Agency currently requires us to confirm that you are at level B2 or above in all components of English before issuing Visa Documents.

Visa requirements

If you are not from the European Economic Area / Switzerland and you are coming to study in the UK, you may need to apply for a visa or entry clearance to come to the UK to study.

The way that you apply may vary depending on the length of your course. There are different rules for:

  • Students on courses of more than six months
  • Students on courses of less than six months
  • Students on a pre-sessional English language course.

If you require a Tier 4 student visa to study in the UK, you cannot undertake any City courses on a part-time basis.

For more information see our main Visa page.


Doctoral research students are initially registered for an MPhil. They transfer to PhD at the end of the first year following satisfactory submission and examination of a report and transfer presentation.Further information

on the regulations and structure of MPhil/PhD studies.

The groups use experimental and numerical techniques to investigate the following:

  • Performance-based design and assessment
  • High performance structures
  • Complex/special (and/or irregular) structures
  • Adaptable/adapting structures
  • Structural health monitoring /smart monitoring
  • New and/or adapting materials (for enhanced performance)
  • Multi-hazard analysis/design/ (risk) management of structures
  • Optimization of civil engineering structures
  • Soil-structure interaction and the interaction between buried structures
  • Multi-scale soil mechanics
  • Novel  sustainable pile systems
  • The behaviour of soils subjected to remoulding during geotechnical construction
  • Fluid-structure interaction (including extreme waves, floods, tsunamis, scour)
  • Sediment transport mechanisms (from Geotechnics and Hydrodynamics point of view)

Funding options

  • Full-time EU: £4,500 per year
  • Part-time EU: £2,250 per year
  • Full-time Non EU: £9,600 per year
  • Part-time Non EU: £4,800 per year

Distance learning (external) study of this course costs £785 per year either as a part-time or full-time option.

Fees for doctoral candidates are charged annually and cover registration, supervision and examination. Fees are subject to review each year and may vary during your period of registration.



Students will all be allocated a primary and secondary supervisor to provide guidance and support during their studies.


The Graduate School organises courses and research events to assist students to develop their research skills and to promote the exchange of research ideas across City. Students are also encouraged to attend relevant Masters level courses where appropriate.

Research Environment

The Civil Engineering Department is a focus for seminars and research activities directly relevant to students' research topics. Most research students study within groups engaged in similar research and students often share experimental and numerical techniques in order to maximise the progress that can be made during the students' studies.

How to apply

We accept applications on an ongoing basis for entry in October, January and April. You are advised to submit your application at least six weeks before your proposed start date in order for us to consider and process your application. Once you have identified a supervisor who will accept to guide you through your research, please submit the following documents:

  • PhD application form
  • A three page Research Proposal (See our detailed guidance on writing a research proposal)
  • Copies of your degree transcripts and certificates (originals or certified copies). If your applications is successful, we will need to see the original hard copies before a final offer is made.
  • Two reference letters from at least one academic staff, sent from an office work email (not private) to
  • Proof of English language proficiency (minimum 6.5 IELTS) if English is not your first language.

Please note that we will not consider incomplete applications.

You can contact the following addresses for preliminary enquiries:

Study options for this course

  • The award How you will study How long you will study Course starts Domestic course fees International course fees
  • The awardMPhil, PhDHow you will studyFull-timeHow long you will study3 - 4 years
    Course startsOctober, FebruaryDomestic course feesGBP 4500 per yearInternational course feesGBP 9600 per year
  • The awardMPhil, PhDHow you will studyPart-timeHow long you will study3 - 7 years
    Course startsOctober, FebruaryDomestic course feesGBP 2250 per yearInternational course feesGBP 4800 per year

Notes about fees for this course


Full-time: £4,500 per year

Part-time: £2,250 per year

Distance learning: £785 per year


Full-time: £9,600 per year

Part-time: £4,800 per year

Entry requirements

Contact City, University of London to find course entry requirements.

Location of City, University of London

City, University of London main campus is shown on the map below:

Explore City, University of London

Click the following videos and images to expand or play