This forward-thinking and industry-relevant MA offers creative writers the opportunity to not only develop advanced writing skills, but also a solid understanding of the different ways in which writers can now engage with the publishing industry. As a graduate of this course you’ll be equipped with the knowledge and skills to take your writing into the commercial marketplace in both print and digital formats.
You’ll develop creative writing across a variety of forms, with a focus on transmedia storytelling and the skills to independently publish your work as a publisher; learning and applying skills in editing, PR and marketing (including digital marketing), design, production, and budgeting.
- Analyse the cultural and critical influences on the writer and publishing industry, as well as your own practice
- Learn the skills to be able to write creatively and effectively, to publishable standard, for a variety of different audiences and media
- Hone your skills, knowledge and understanding to progress to further research at doctoral level if desired
- Work on real-life publishing projects with BU’s own publishing press, Fresher Publishing
- Engage with the BU’s annual international creative writing competitions: The Fresher Writing Prize for emerging voices in fiction, poetry and creative non-fiction, and the New Media Writing Prize for stories that integrate a variety of formats, platforms and digital media
- Learn from experienced writers and practitioners who have also acquired Master’s degrees and/or doctorates in Creative Writing or English themselves, and thus are proven in their ability to teach, encourage and support you as you develop your work to Master’s and, hopefully, publishable quality
- Benefit from prestigious guest tutors from the world of writing and publishing.