WHY STUDY CARTOGRAPHY AT VILNIUS UNIVERSITY?
Cartography – a specific branch of knowledge with a wide range of applied character. So, this program is to provide and educate future professionals essential cartographic theory and applied knowledge of methods, techniques and basic GIS technology, to promote a systematic approach to research phenomena, to be able to highlight, analyse and solve methodological problems, individually and collectively conduct research and implement practical cartographic projects using different technologies, to be able to create and manage application projects.
KEY LEARNING OUTCOMES
1. Having completed cartography programme, a graduate has complex understanding between functionsand interaction of nature and anthropogenic structures; principles of sustainable development; systematicand critical approach.
2. Understanding scalability and existence of geographic systems.
3. Recognise cartographic modelling in the interdisciplinary research.
4. Ability to formulate scientific and applied research objectives, shape content and possible results.
5. Strategic analyse and evaluate cartographic projects requirement and complication degree.
6. Formulate results of scientific research.
7. Perform quantitative and qualitative data analysis; formulate and present research results; analyse ofscientific reference sources, juridical acts.
8. Use varied technologies for scientific research, information search, evaluation and recall.
Students can participate in ERASMUS+ mobility programme or use VU’s Bilateral cooperation agreements which gives an opportunity to study at VU’s Partner Universities or do internship abroad.
Graduates can work in cartographic and topographic public and private enterprises, in scientific and in education-municipal institutions. Masters of cartography may continue their studies in doctoral studies (third stage) of the natural, social and nearby sciences branches (physical geography, measurement engineering, computer science, sociology) in Lithuanian and foreign universities.