WHY ENGLISH AND ANOTHER FOREIGN LANGUAGE (RUSSIAN) STUDIES AT VILNIUS UNIVERSITY?
The English and Another Foreign Language (Russian) programme is a student-centred programme which fosters their learning motivation, develops competencies necessary for the student in order to meet the needs of social and personal development, both local and global labour market. It also helps students to acquire general and subject specific competencies compatible with their bachelor’s degree and be prepared for further studies or work in a certain area.
The Study Programme aims at training language specialists with solid linguistic background who will be able to:
- determine the interrelations between the elements of the English and Russian language systems;
- fluently communicate in English (C1) and Russian (B2);
- choose and apply appropriate translation strategies and translate texts to/from the English/ Russian languages;
- acquire the understanding of culture and literature of both English- and Russian-speaking countries;
- gain the ability to classify, analyse, evaluate, and generalise research findings, and to communicate and cooperate in a multicultural environment.
ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS AND SELECTION CRITERIA
Matura (school leaving) certificate;
English language proficiency not lower than level B2 according to the CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages);
Russian language proficiency not lower than A2 according to the CEFR.
Students can participate in ERASMUS+ mobility programme which gives an opportunity to study at VU’s Partner University for 1 or 2 semesters or do internship abroad.
The international labour market needs highly qualified linguists with a good command of two languages of global significance (English – level C1 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages and Russian – level B2). The graduates can build successful careers in a wide variety of fields including international business, tourism, public service and offer their skills of translation, editing, publishing, web content managing, etc. They can also work as private tutors or secondary school teachers of two languages after gaining teacher’s professional qualification acquired after completing a Minor or a post-diploma study programme in subject pedagogy (ESL).