This 12-month course is designed to develop your confidence and independence to become a reliable researcher or investigator in the fast-moving biotechnology industry.
Throughout your studies you'll be exposed to the diverse areas of biology and engineering, blending molecular science with chemical and biological engineering modules to develop your understanding of the interdependencies between these fields.
Through research-focused training, you'll develop your skills in planning and carrying out your own experiments, approaching scientific problems experimentally across molecular biology and biotechnology, and using revolutionary laboratory techniques, including CRISPR genome editing technology, Western analysis, and BLAST DNA sequence analysis, to solve these problems.
Through lectures and seminars delivered by visiting experts from leading universities across the globe, you'll gain a unique perspective on the underpinning theory and latest research spanning the breadth of molecular biology.
Once you've mastered the latest molecular bioscience techniques, you'll be ready to apply these skills to your Research Project. Here you'll spend up to six months researching an area of molecular biology or biotechnology that matches your future career aspirations under the supervision of an expert in the field.
Example research projects include:
- Protein/enzyme engineering
- Plant genetic engineering
- Molecular cell biology and imaging Structural biology (eg X-Ray crystallography)
- Synthetic biology/industrial biotechnology (production of useful products from microorganisms)
- Biotechnology via genetic engineering techniques
- Intelligent protein optimisation / bioinformatics
- Protein expression, enzyme assays
- Molecular biology (biomedical/disease related project)
We accept medical students who wish to intercalate their studies. Find out more on the Medical School's website.