If you're currently working in an educational role and want to develop your leadership and management skills – and get a qualification that'll help you fulfil your career ambitions – this course is for you.
On our Educational Leadership and Management course, offered as a MSc, PgDip, PgCert, you'll learn about leadership strategy, decision-making in education, and human resource management. And whether you're a teacher, social and healthcare worker, police trainer, nurse or youth worker, you'll build on your previous skills, studies and experience and develop your expertise, theories and techniques to postgraduate level.
Once you graduate, you'll have developed the skills and knowledge to take on new responsibilities in educational leadership and management, and to seek out ambitious new roles.
You can study on campus or through distance learning, and full or part-time while you continue to work. If you're not already working in education, please take a look at our MA Education Studies course.
You can study this course full-time, part-time or part-time by distance learning. The MSc and PgDip takes 1 year full-time and 2 years part-time. The PgCert takes 6 months full-time and 1 year part-time.
What you'll experience
On this course, you'll:
- Learn the key themes in current research and professional practice, through a combination of lectures, seminars, group work and presentations
- Be taught be experts who bring their enthusiasm to the classroom, including a personal tutor who will guide you in your studies
- Apply what you learn in your current workplace, to ensure that your learning is meaningful and professionally relevant
- Stay connected to your lecturers through our online virtual learning environment
- Write a dissertation based on your chosen area of interest (MSc only)
- Have 24/7 access to our university library
What you'll study
Each module on this course is worth a certain number of credits.
You need to study modules worth a total of 180 credits. For example, 4 module worth 30 credits and 1 module worth 60 credits.
MSc / PgDip / PgCert
- Human Resource Management in Education
- Decision Making in Education
MSc / PgDip only:
- Leadership, Policy and Strategy
- Research Methods in Education
We use the best and most current research and professional practice alongside feedback from our students to make sure course content is relevant to your future career or further studies.
Therefore, some course content may change over time to reflect changes in the discipline or industry.
Teaching on this course includes:
- group work
- student presentations
- one-to-one tutorials
How you're assessed
You'll be assessed through:
- online tests and quizzes
- reflective commentaries
- case study work
- article critiques
- online discussions
- research proposal
- a dissertation
Careers and opportunities
We'll help you to identify opportunities that will complement your studies.
When you finish the course, our Careers and Employability service can help you find a job that puts your leadership and management skills to work in the education industry.
After you leave the University, you can get help, advice and support for up to 5 years from our Careers and Employability service as you advance in your career.