If you're a creative ready to take your studies to the next level, our MRes in Creative Industries is a postgraduate taught degree that can help you achieve your ambitions and land your dream job.
On this course, you'll complete a large research project and tailor your studies to match your career path, while receiving the support you need to develop your skills in research. You can choose to study in any of the schools within the Faculty of Creative and Cultural Industries: Architecture, Art, Design and Performance, Creative Technologies and Film, Media and Communication.
Whether you're planning to go on to further research – such as PhD study – or looking to start your career in a creative industry such as architecture, the media, teaching or the performing arts, then the MRes in Creative Industries will give you the skills you need to succeed.
And when you graduate, you'll do so with one of the following degrees, depending on what you choose to focus on:
- MRes Architecture
- MRes Creative Practice
- MRes Design
- MRes Design Practice
- MRes Digital Curation
- MRes Curation
- MRes Urban Design
- MRes Media Industries
- MRes Screen Writing
- MRes Sustainable Innovation
- MRes Theatre Performance
- MRes Urban Design
- MRes Visual Culture
- MRes Visualisation
- MRes Journalism
What you'll experience
On this Creative Industries course, you'll:
- Conduct a detailed research project in the creative field of your choice
- Learn from experienced and enthusiastic staff who are experts in the field
- Get experience working in a productive research community, and benefit from satisfying intellectual challenges
- Take part in formal research training sessions, including peer and critical reviews, grant application, and conference presentation
- Have access to the faculty's sound and TV studios, technical labs which feature 3D printing facilities, photographic workshops, VR lab, motion capture facilities and computer suites, and our 92-seat theatre with lighting, sound and AV technology
- Have 24/7 access to our library's resources, including books, ejournals and DVDs
Work experience and career planning
When you finish the course, our Careers and Employability service can help you find a job that puts your skills to work in the creative and cultural industries.
After you leave the University, you can get help, advice and support for up to 5 years from our Careers and Employability service as you advance in your career.
Teaching methods on this course include:
- taught sessions
- face-to-face meetings
- independent study
How you're assessed
You'll be assessed through:
- project proposal
- literature review
- reflective practice
The MRes in Creative Industries will place you in a strong position to pursue doctoral or research related roles as a career. You'll graduate from the course with valuable research skills and training, which will place you in a strong position to secure employment across private and public sector industries.
Career opportunities include:
- Research-related careers
- PhD study
- Architectural or creative practice
- Theatre Performance