If you're excited by a future filled with Virtual and Augmented Reality technology, this BSc (Hons) Virtual and Augmented Reality degree course is for you.
Designed to reflect the skills and discipline required to excel in the Virtual and Augmented Reality industries, this course lets you get your hands on the latest VR and AR technology and software, and build your knowledge, skills and portfolio at the same time.
The teaching on this course is closely aligned with the latest academic and industry research and discoveries too – so as Virtual and Augmented Reality technology evolves, we'll ensure that what you're learning is the always the latest and most relevant information.
And when you graduate, you'll have highly sought-after skills and provable experience in the field, and you'll be all set to take your first steps towards a fulfilling career in AR, VR or a related industry.
What you'll experience
On this course, you'll:
- Learn using industry-standard software, including game engines and source development kits, ensuring that you have the ideal skillset to work in the industry
- Get the chance to contribute towards real research and development in the field of virtual and augmented reality in a variety of group projects
- Have the opportunity to enhance your learning through a salaried placement year
- Get your hands on the latest commercial peripherals, including the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive, as well as hardware such Electroencephalograms (brainwave interfaces), heart monitor and facial recognition systems that are commonly used in VR/AR research
- Make use of our Virtual Reality Laboratory and Motion Capture Suite, as well as our open-access computer suites
Careers and opportunities
When you finish the course, our Careers and Employability service can help you find a job that puts your skills to work in the industry.
The course is primarily intended to foster graduates with the unique skillset required to become developers in virtual and augmented reality. The University can also offer students significant ties to the industry.
What jobs can you do with a Virtual and Augmented Reality degree?
The skillset that this course will develop will enable our graduates to pursue various roles, including:
- virtual/augmented reality developer
- computer vision architect/engineer
- unity/unreal engine developer
- C++/C# developer
- interaction engineer
- VR/AR designer
- 3D artist
- 3D modeller
- AR/VR writer
- game developer/designer/programmer
- rendering software engineer
- sound designer
Other graduates have continued their studies at postgraduate level or set up successful businesses with help and support from the University.
After you leave the University, you can get help, advice and support for up to 5 years from our Careers and Employability service as you advance in your career.
Work experience and career planning
To give you the best chance of securing a great job when you graduate, our Careers and Employability service can help you find relevant work experience during your course.
We can help you identify placements, internships, voluntary roles and freelancing opportunities that will complement your studies and build your portfolio.
After your second year, you can do an optional work placement year to get valuable longer-term work experience in the industry.
We’ll help you secure a work placement that fits your aspirations. You’ll get mentoring and support throughout the year.