If you want to turbo-charge your engineering career in the gas and petroleum industry – and get a postgraduate qualification while developing your current skills and experience too – our MSc Petroleum and Gas Engineering degree course is the perfect choice.
You'll unpack key industry themes, such as Formation Evaluation, Reservoir Engineering and Reservoir Simulation. You'll learn to evaluate technologies for safe production and for enhancing the recovery of hydrocarbon oil and gas, and you'll discover new trends and technologies that are shaping the future of the industry, such as data science and artificial intelligence.
And because you'll be taught by industry professionals and expert academic staff, you'll develop a skillset that's specifically designed to meet the demand for petroleum and gas specialists in the industry.
Please note, if you're an international student, you'll need to get clearance to study this degree course from the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office, under the Academic Tech Approval Scheme (ATAS).
What you'll experience
On this course you'll:
- Learn about the key themes in the industry, including Petroleum Fundamentals and Exploration, Well Testing, Reservoir Engineering and Simulation, Well Engineering, Unconventional Resources, Data Science and Artificial Intelligence in Petroleum Engineering
- Learn how data science and artificial intelligence are improving productivity and resource management in the energy industry
- Complete an industry-relevant project on a subject of your choice
- Use the latest experimental and computational facilities in our labs. Our computer suites feature analysis and simulation software used by professionals including the Schlumberger package (ECLIPSE, Petrel), IPM Suite, Techlog, Kappa and CMG
- Sharpen your knowledge of current hardware and software development tools for design, development and implementation
- Be able to explore mud rheology and drilling as well as reservoir characterisation and simulation
- Benefit from the extensive resources available in our University library, including books, DVDs, electronic resources and maps
Work experience and career planning
We'll help you to identify internships, voluntary roles and opportunities that will complement your studies.
When you finish the course, our Careers and Employability service can help you find a job that puts your skills to work in the Petroleum and Gas Engineering industry.
After you leave the University, you can get help, advice and support for up to 5 years from our Careers and Employability service as you advance in your career.
What you'll study on this MSc Petroleum and Gas Engineering degree course
- Data Science and Artificial Intelligence in Petroleum Engineering
- Individual Project
- Petroleum Geoscience and Exploration
- Reservoir Engineering and Simulation
- Unconventional Resources
- Well Engineering and Production Technology
- Well Testing
Teaching on this course includes:
- software-based coursework
- project work
How you're assessed
You'll be assessed through:
You'll be able to test your skills and knowledge informally before you do assessments that count towards your final mark. You can get feedback on all practice and formal assessments so you can improve in the future.
Careers and opportunities
When you graduate, you'll have the skills and knowledge for a successful career in the expanding Petroleum upstream industry.
What can you do with a Petroleum and Gas Engineering degree?
Career opportunities include:
- Oil and gas exploration
- Reservoir modelling
- Engineering and management
- Drilling and production
- Product marketing
- Management and finance
We'll provide you with as much support as possible in finding employment through close industrial contacts, careers events, recruitment fairs and individual advice.