If you want to expand your knowledge and skill in performance, theatre, and musicals, this BA (Hons) Musical Theatre degree is the perfect choice if you want a successful career in many sectors.
On the course, you'll indulge your enthusiasm for voice, music, movement, acting and production. You'll get to create your own theatre company, mount a full-scale musical in just 2 weeks and have dedicated one-to-one singing lessons. You'll also learn a sought after set of vocational skills that will help you break into the business side of industry.
As a member of the national Musical Theatre Network, you’ll be able to make use of our industry connections when you start your career after the course. You'll be set for a career as a performer and in roles in the wider theatre industry.
What you'll experience
On this course you'll:
- Use our drama studios in the White Swan Building, which is connected to Portsmouth's New Theatre Royal
- Practise what you learn in our professional-grade rehearsal areas, including a dance space, a sound recording booth, video editing suites, and music rooms equipped with pianos
- Work alongside your peers and new writers to create shows, gaining invaluable experience in creative collaboration
- Have the chance to perform in front of agents, producers and casting directors as part of our annual London Showcase
- Study at the home of the UK's only international academic journal dedicated to musical theatre (Studies in Musical Theatre)
- Have the opportunity to attend guest lectures from the biggest names in theatre and arts – past speakers have included Sheila Hancock, Edward Bond, Mark Ravenhill, David Edgar, Howard Brenton, Michelene Wandor, Pete Wyer and Yvon Bonenfant, and professionals from The Fecund Theatre Company, The Solent People's Theatre and The Big Brum Theatre
Careers and opportunities
When you finish the course, you'll be set for a career as a performer and for roles in the wider theatre industry.
Past graduates have gone on to careers in areas including:
- theatre, arts and events management
- the media industry
- project and team management
Roles our graduates have taken on include:
- theatre manager
- arts administrator
Other graduates have continued their studies at postgraduate level or set up successful businesses with help and support from the University.
Our Careers and Employability service can help you find a job that puts your skills to work in the industry. After you the University, you can get help, advice and support for up to 5 years as you advance in your career.
Work experience and career planning
To give you the best chance of securing a great job when you graduate, our Careers and Employability service can help you find relevant work experience during your course.
We can help you identify placements, internships, and voluntary roles that will complement your studies and build your professional experience.