On this BSc (Hons) Business Information Systems degree course, you’ll gain the problem-solving, managerial and technical skills you need to get to the heart of issues, as an information systems professional.
You’ll learn how to communicate and investigate complex problems and develop solutions which combine business ideas and technology, in any type of business, large or small. You'll develop a combination of skills that give you a unique overview of organisations and the ability to work well with others and share ideas at all levels.
The course opens doors to a career in fields such as business analysis, systems analysis and design, system management, security management, project management, knowledge management and business consultancy.
What you'll experience
On this course you’ll:
- Learn the problem-solving, sociotechnical and managerial skills you need to be a professional information systems analyst or designer
- Explore the tools and technologies that help modern businesses work smarter, in areas such as business intelligence, security and AI
- Get practical experience helping businesses improve their effectiveness, through a second year industrial project
- Develop an enquiring mind ready to engage with emerging technologies and real world business problems, readying you for work in the era of Industry 5.0.
- Benefit from industry contact throughout the course, with real world examples, professional guest speakers and industry visits to well-known companies like IBM, SAP and Amazon
- Have the option to take a placement year in the industry or study abroad for a year
Teaching methods on this course include:
- laboratory and project work
- one-on-one tutorials
How you're assessed
You’ll be assessed through:
- multiple choice tests
- written exams
- review articles
You’ll be able to test your skills and knowledge informally before you do assessments that count towards your final mark.
You can get feedback on all practice and formal assessments so you can improve in the future.
The way you’re assessed may depend on the modules you select. As a guide, students on this course last year were typically assessed as follows:
- Year 1 students: 40% by written exams and 60% by coursework
- Year 2 students: 15% by written exams, 3% by practical exams and 82% by coursework
- Year 3 students: 13% by written exams, 10% by practical exams and 77% by coursework
Careers and opportunities
What can you do with a Business Information Systems degree?
With your versatile BSc (Hons) Business Information Systems degree, you could go on to work in various fields and roles including:
- IT management
- business intelligence
- business analysis
- project management
- business continuity analysis
- information systems security
- risk management
- IT consultancy
- systems design
Our Careers and Employability service can help you find a job that puts your skills to work in industry. You'll get help, advice and support for up to 5 years after you leave the University.
Work experience and career planning
To give you the best chance of securing a great job when you graduate, you’ll develop and practise the skills you’ll use in your career throughout the course.
As well as this, our Careers and Employability service and placements team work closely with local, national and international businesses. We can help you identify and prepare for placements, internships, voluntary roles and freelancing opportunities that will complement your studies.
Entrepreneurs in Residence
If you're interested in setting up your own business while you study, you can get support on this course from the Entrepreneurs in Residence programme. Our Entrepreneurs in Residence are experienced business professionals who work with us to deliver group workshops and 1-to-1 drop-in clinics to help you plan and market your business idea.