Do you want to learn the all-round business skills that employers are looking for, while working on your personal development and setting yourself up to get a degree in the future?
This HND Business course kick-starts your business career by providing a valuable introduction to topics including business strategy, finance and marketing.
It’ll give you an edge when starting your career and give you a solid foundation for further study.
After the course you can top up to a full degree by joining the final year of one of our selected Business, Finance or Marketing courses at our main campus in Portsmouth.
This course is delivered at:
- Havant & South Downs College (near Portsmouth)
- Stanmore College (London)
- Isle of Wight College (Isle of Wight)
Studying at our partner colleges means you'll experience a nurturing environment, with plenty of support from experienced college tutors. You'll have access to the University’s services and campus, which includes study support, the Students' Union, student accommodation and our library's online resources.
You'll have opportunities to visit and experience the University lifestyle to help you decide whether you want to take the final year top up degree route.
What you'll experience
On this course, you'll:
- Develop the skills and knowledge you need to excel in business
- Learn from experienced tutors, lecturers and business leaders
- Build knowledge in subjects such as marketing, business finance, business law, data management, business strategy, organisational theories and human resource management
- Work on a research project and put your knowledge into practice to demonstrate what you’ve learned
- Study at either Havant & South Downs College in Waterlooville, Stanmore College in London or the Isle of Wight College in Newport
Work experience and career planning
To give you the best chance of securing a great job when you finish your course, our Careers and Employability service can help you find relevant work experience during your course.
We can help you identify placements, internships and voluntary roles that will complement your studies and build your CV.
What you'll study
- Business finance
- Business law
- Business environment
- Organisational theories
- Management accounting
- Applied marketing
- Human resource management
- Small business enterprise
- Business strategy
- Data management
- Research project
- Business excellence
- Business law: further principles
- Business psychology
- Event management
- Human resource development
- Promotional strategy
- Small business enterprise
- Working with and leading people
- Employee relations
- Project management
Teaching methods on this course include:
- group projects
- one-on-one tutorials
How you're assessed
You'll be assessed through:
- individual and group coursework
- online tests
- practical exercises
You’ll be able to test your skills and knowledge informally before you do assessments that count towards your final mark.
You can get feedback on all practice and formal assessments so you can improve in the future.
Careers and opportunities
After completing this course, you’ll have the knowledge and skills to top up your HND to a Bachelor's degree or begin a career in areas such as:
- financial and risk analysis