This course examines crop improvement through advances in resource use efficiency and modern crop breeding techniques.
Focusing on the understanding of plant to crop systems, with an emphasis on research training, the course is ideally suited to those wishing to pursue careers in research institutes, plant breeding, agro-industry and advance to higher research degree study.
You will have the opportunity to see practical aspects of agriculture in other parts of the UK through visits to growers, farms, research stations and other academic institutions.
The course is based at the School of Biosciences on Sutton Bonington Campus. The University has one of the largest plant and crop sciences divisions in the UK with 20 permanent academic staff.
You will have an exciting opportunity to study with world renowned researchers in this important and rapidly advancing field. There are career opportunities in agro-industry, academia and research institutes.
- The school is ranked the number 1 research environment in the UK for agriculture, veterinary and food science in the Research Excellence Framework 2014. Where 97% of our work in the Schools of Biosciences and Veterinary Medicine and Science was judged to be of international quality
- Specialist facilities include
- modern glasshouses
- controlled environment growth rooms in which plants and tissue cultures can be raised
- excellent facilities for fieldwork
- The school also has a Tropical Crops Research Unit in which computer controlled glasshouses are available for research on a range of tropical species