The program can be completed over one year of full-time study or part-time equivalent. Courses are offered on a semester basis, i.e. two semesters per year. The Bachelor of Science (Honours) is offered at Callaghan and Ourimbah Campuses.
Please note that specialisations are not available at both campuses.
The specialisations of Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Earth Science, Geography and Environmental Studies, Photonics and Physics are available to students at the Callaghan campus.
The Marine Science and Sustainable Resource Management specialisations are available at the Ourimbah campus only.
The Psychology specialisation is available at both the Callaghan and Ourimbah campuses.
The Australian Psychology Accreditation Council (APAC) approved sequence in Psychology is not available for students who commenced the University of Newcastle Bachelor of Science program from 2012.
Program learning outcomes
On successful completion of the program students will have:
- In-depth knowledge and ability appropriate to undertake further study and research in a field of science.
- Ability to develop, conduct and manage a research project.
- Critically and independently reflect and analyse project results.
- Ability to communicate a convincing and reasoned scientific argument at a level and style appropriate to the audience and to report scientific findings in an oral and substantial written format.
- Ability to work on an advanced scientific activity both autonomously and collaboratively.
- Awareness of professional practice in the relevant discipline and an understanding, appreciation and respect for appropriate conduct and practice.