A good teacher can have a profound effect on a young person's outlook on education, their career aspirations and life generally. If you have a real commitment to helping young people get the most out of their education, a passion for learning, rapport with people and a sense of humour, then you will find teaching a truly rewarding professional career where you can make a difference.
Graduates of this program will be able to seek employment as 7-12 (Secondary) teachers in and beyond the New South Wales Government, Catholic, and Independent school sectors. The program aims to develop graduates who are inspirational teachers with the capability to act professionally, ethically and effectively in their Secondary school destinations; insightful scholars with the capability to engage in rational enquiry into curriculum, policy and practice; and innovative leaders with the capability to play a constructive role in public discourse on and beyond education.
The new Bachelor of Education (Secondary) (Honours) possess inherent flexibility of choice and pathways to specialties in more than one field, significantly improving employment prospects. As with the Bachelor of Education (Secondary) program, areas of study include Aboriginal Studies, Ancient History, Business studies, Computing Technology, Design Technologies, Drama, Economics, Business and Legal studies, Economics, Engineering Technology, English, Food Technology, Geography, Graphics and Multimedia Arts, Health and Physical Education, Languages, Modern History, Maths, Society and Culture, Science, Studies of Religion, Textile Technology and Visual Arts. However, the Bachelor of Education (Secondary) (Honours) program places a special emphasis on preparing graduates who can critically evaluate education research, and have the capacity to design, implement and evaluate their own educational research project.
For Honours graduates this degree is a pathway into higher degree research programs, such as the Master of Philosophy and Doctor of Philosophy. The Honours degree provides specific opportunities for graduates to pursue careers in educational research, education publication writing or editing, education policy analysis, as well as the typical professions for Education graduates including high school teacher (in subject specific areas), health and fitness trainer, community educator, education consultant, curriculum developer, educational materials developer, curriculum evaluator, and educational administrator.
On successful completion of the program students will have:
- Coherent and advanced knowledge of the underlying principles and concepts in one or more disciplines and knowledge of research principles and methods
- Demonstrated the application of knowledge and skills to plan and execute project work and/or a piece of research and scholarship with some independence
- Become inspirational teachers who act professionally, ethically, and effectively
- Become insightful scholars who engage in rational enquiry into the theory and practice of education
- Become innovative leaders who play a constructive role in public discourse on education
- Cognitive skills to review, analyse, consolidate and synthesise knowledge to identify and provide solutions to complex problems with intellectual independence
- Cognitive and technical skills to demonstrate a broad understanding of a body of knowledge and theoretical concepts with advanced understanding in some areas
- Cognitive skills to exercise critical thinking and judgement in developing new understanding
- Technical skills to design and use research in a project
- Communication skills to present a clear and coherent exposition of knowledge and ideas to a variety of audiences
- Demonstrated the application of knowledge and skills with initiative and judgement in professional practice and/or scholarship
- Demonstrated the application of knowledge and skills to adapt knowledge and skills in diverse contexts
- Demonstrated the application of knowledge and skills with responsibility and accountability for own learning and practice and in collaboration with others within broad parameters