Do you dream of a purpose-driven life?
As a professional Social Worker, you will have endless opportunities to make a difference.
Social workers are involved in meaningful, life-changing work - supporting and resolving personal and social relationship issues between individuals, families, groups, organisations and communities. Social workers aim to relieve distress, redress inequalities and promote social justice.
The Bachelor of Social Work (Honours) is an experience-based program that will prepare you for a professional career as a social worker. There is a strong demand for qualified Social Workers and job opportunities are broad and incredibly rewarding.
Why study with us?
- Become in-demand here and overseas with globally transferrable skills. 89% of UON graduates are employed within four months and Australian graduates are highly sought after internationally.
- Strong job growth in Australia with continued above average employment. Government findings show that demand for social workers will continue to rise strongly in the coming years.
- Graduate work-ready with rewarding fieldwork opportunities and 1,000 hours of supervised field placements.
- Explore global work opportunities when you graduate with our internationally recognised and professionally accredited qualification.
- Social work graduates feel equipped to work professionally, with 92% graduate satisfaction and 97% saying their studies and training improved their skills.
What will you study?
Gain an experienced-based professional qualification.
Graduate confident and work-ready through an effective combination of lecture-based teaching and intensive, hands-on practical experience. Enjoy diverse placement opportunities locally, interstate and internationally.
Your studies will include an integrated approach to theory, practice and social work values. Complete core courses in subject areas that further enrich your expertise like:
- social work
- Aboriginal studies
- sociology and anthropology
- a directed course in law
You will also choose from a wide range of electives to extend and complement your core studies.
For more information about this degree, please refer to the Bachelor of Social Work (Honours) program handbook.
Social work offers many fields of practice that lead to incredibly diverse career pathways. About 89% secure work soon after graduating and UON graduates enjoy the advantage of being recruited locally, nationally and internationally.
In Australia, social workers are generally employed in several industries, including:
- health care and social assistance
- government, public administration and safety
- education and training
- administrative and support services
Depending on your chosen expertise, you can work here and around the world in areas such as management, education, research, policy development, politics and community planning.
Following is a list of possible areas you could move into after this degree.