Issues involving development, poverty, inequality and environmental sustainability are some of the most important in the world today.
UON's Bachelor of Development Studies deals with these key issues in a current and global context. When you study a degree in development studies, you can go on to make a positive difference in the world.
Why study with us?
- One-of-a-kind degree: The only development studies degree in Australia to include economics and Aboriginal studies as core courses.
- World top 100: UON is ranked in the world's top 100 for sociology, as well as in the top 150 for geography (2017 QS World University Rankings by Subject).
- Grow your international networks: You can enhance your knowledge of the world through our overseas placement opportunities.
What will you study?
You will study real-world issues such as globalisation, environmental change, sustainable development and social justice. Our interdisciplinary approach means that in addition to your major you are exposed to a wide range of areas including:
- Aboriginal studies
- environmental studies
Skills, abilities and knowledge learnt in the Bachelor of Development Studies are highly sought after by a broad range of employers, including international aid organisations, consulting firms and local, state and federal government departments.
Career opportunities can include:
- international development
- urban and regional planning
- social policy
- community development
- environmental management
- consultancy and management
- advocacy and policy development work