One of Australia's most trusted professions.
At UON, you will gain the exceptional medical knowledge and training to be relied on by your community for sound medical advice and support on a wide range of health issues.
Pharmacy is an exciting and varied career. Counsel people on the best use and management of medications. Provide advice on the symptoms and treatment of common ailments. Prepare medications and educate the community on a variety of health and wellbeing matters. As a pharmacist, you have the chance to promote health awareness and contribute to a healthier society.
Why study with us?
- Learn from research leaders: UON is a global leader in medical and health science research, keeping you on the forefront of breaking research discoveries.
- Hands-on training: Our academics are passionate about equipping future pharmacists with the skills they need to excel in all areas of pharmacy. UON students gain 420 hours of practical experience in hospital and community settings.
- World-class facilities: Hone your clinical skills through inter-professional simulated learning activities in our fully functioning demonstration pharmacy, as well as in hospital-based simulation wards.
- First step to professional registration: This program is accredited by the Australian Pharmacy Council and approved by the Pharmacy Board of Australia as a qualification leading to registration as a pharmacist in Australia.
What will you study?
Your pharmacy studies at UON will teach you theoretical knowledge in biomedical, pharmacotherapeutics and pharmaceutical sciences. You will also have plenty of opportunities to develop your skills through hands-on professional placements. You will:
- Learn how to prepare, formulate and use medications safely and effectively to improve patient health and wellbeing.
- Gain the comprehensive medical knowledge and exceptional communication skills required to provide trustworthy advice on the symptoms and management of common ailments and educate the community on a wide range of health and wellbeing matters.
- Learn how to use your knowledge, experience and expertise to positively influence the management of pharmaceutical services in Australia and globally.
- Develop foundational research skills and discover a range of research areas that you can choose to pursue in your pharmacy career: from investigating drug design and discovery; to formulation development, pharmacy practice, personalised health care and health technologies assessment.
Your areas of study will include:
- anatomy and physiology
- dosage formulation
- drug design and discovery
- mental health first aid
All UON pharmacy students graduate with Honours, giving you a distinct advantage when seeking employment. As part of the honours component you can choose from two study pathways.
Our pharmacy graduates are very employable and highly regarded. As a qualified pharmacist, you can choose from an array of interesting and rewarding career options.