If you dream of inspiring young minds and making a difference, you'll enjoy a rewarding career in the exciting world of primary education.
Primary school (kinder - year 6) is the critical period where children cultivate life-long skills, helping them to grow and transition into young adults. Use your skills, knowledge and influence to nurture capable, confident and well-adjusted individuals.
Discover how you can empower the next generation and influence positive change. UON Primary Education graduates enjoy diverse careers as specialist teachers, leaders and non-teaching professionals across related sectors in Australia and around the world.
Why study with us?
- Our graduates get jobs with 94% securing employment within four months of completing their degree.
- Be work-ready with at least three professional experience placements (approximately 90 days) and ongoing Teach Outreach volunteer opportunities.
- Hands-on and cutting-edge learning from day 1 through virtual reality teaching via Teach Live and Ed Outreach community experiences.
- Gain priority employment by developing additional expertise to complement your core education studies - choose from 10 study areas.
- Teaching education admission pathways provide options so that all students can study the same courses regardless of HSC Band 5 results.
The Bachelor of Education (Primary) degree is designed for successful careers and will develop your knowledge, confidence and skills through both theoretical and experience-based learning.
Key study areas include:
- foundations of primary education
- how to teach K-6 curriculum
- language and literacy development
- psychology of learning and teaching
- behaviour management
To diversify your skills and enhance your job prospects, gain additional expertise in any of the following areas:
- Aboriginal and Indigenous studies
- creative arts
- global education and sustainable communities
- health and physical education
- languages and cultural studies
- science and technology
- special education
- teaching english as a second language.
Throughout your studies, you will learn and benefit from virtual reality teacher training, professional practical experience placements, research, community experiences and ongoing volunteer opportunities.
Our graduates enjoy great employment prospects with 94% securing jobs within four months of completing their degree. UON Education graduates are both qualified teachers and non-teaching professionals who work in classrooms, various education settings and across related industries in Australia and around the world.
Being a Primary teacher goes well beyond teaching maths and ABC's - you could find yourself inspiring the next generation of leaders; helping young ones develop social skills; developing programs to inspire early interest in critical industries like maths and science; or playing constructive roles in public discussions on education by researching its impacts on communities.
Careers may include:
- Primary school teacher
- specialist teacher in primary school
- special education
- english as a second language teacher
- community educator
- educational researcher
- education publication writer or editor
- education policy analyst
- education consultant
- curriculum developer
- educational materials developer
- curriculum evaluator
- educational administrator