Robots can't replace you if you're building them.
At UON we train engineers capable of solving the world's greatest challenges. As a mechatronics engineer you may develop companion robots to help care for our aging population. You could design drones that assist in search and rescue operations following a natural disaster. Or, join our team of precision mechatronics researchers and work on medical solutions such as an endoscopic 'pill robot' for non-invasive 3D imaging and intervention.
What is mechatronics? Mechatronics engineering is concerned with the synergy of electrical, computer and mechanical technologies that lead to new solutions to industrial problems. Mechatronics engineers are involved in the technical design, automation and operational performance of the electromechanical systems used in industries such as defence, advanced manufacturing, mining and health.
Why combine engineering with business? Complete these two bachelor degrees in just five years - compliment your technical skills with business acumen, entrepreneurism and the ability to commercialise engineering innovations. Learn how to manage people and finances, propose new business opportunities and market your product. Prepare yourself for a leadership role with this unique package of capabilities.
Why study with us?
- Real-world insights: Connect with industry through projects, guest lecturers, and mentoring.
- Be workplace ready: Graduates rated us no.1 in NSW for workplace ready skills. In 2016, 93% of graduates were employed within 4 months.
- Travel the world with international recognition through Engineers Australia. You can even start while you're studying with international exchanges and scholarships available.
- We're No.1 in Australia for overall quality of the educational experience.
- Fast-Track Masters - advance your career and gain a Master of Professional Engineering in just 1 year on top of your Bachelor of Engineering degree.
What will you study?
Build critical technical and engineering skills through courses in:
- computer networks
- computer-integrated manufacturing
- control systems
- electrical systems
- electronic design
- engineering management
- finite element analysis
- heat transfer
- mechanical engineering design
- mechanics of fluids and solids
- microprocessor systems
- modelling and simulation
- sensors and actuators
Connect with industry through guest lectures and interdisciplinary projects solving real world problems. Gain invaluable practical experience through your industry placement.
Become job-ready through our professional practice courses. You'll learn to tackle 'wicked problems' and develop essential workplace skills in finance, project management, sustainability, communication and entrepreneurism.
Develop your business skills in:
- microeconomics for business decisions
- leadership and ethics
- entrepreneurship and Innovation
Mechatronic engineers play an essential role in a growing number of fields. They might take up careers in the robotics, aerospace, chemical, defence, automotive, marine, manufacturing, mining or finance industries. Average starting salaries for engineers are great - more than $80,000 per annum.
Mechatronic Engineering is flexible and diverse. You may prefer hands-on fieldwork, design and development, or a leadership role managing people and projects. Typical positions include:
- industrial automation engineer
- robotics designer
- smart infrastructure designer
- avionics engineer
- data communications engineer
It's also common for engineers to take on senior leadership roles in innovative businesses. The CEOs of Google, Microsoft, Amazon and Tesla Motors are all engineers. In fact, engineering is the most common degree among the highest performing Fortune 500 CEOs!
The combined degree advantage: your business skills will help you move into leadership roles in engineering, support you to start your own business or take your technical skills into a different work environment altogether.