The Bachelor of Laws (Honours) at our Newcastle Law School is your passport to a career as a successful lawyer, or a range of other related professions.
This degree is offered as a combined program which means you combine your Bachelor of Laws with another degree and get two qualifications in only five years of study. If you want to be a practising lawyer you can also complete the Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice and work as soon as you graduate.
Our University of Newcastle Legal Centre provides hands-on experience with opportunities to work on real cases and gain essential courtroom experience.
Even if you choose not to practise law, a strong legal understanding and the ability to apply logical reasoning means that law graduates are extremely competitive for employment opportunities in a range of different sectors.
Why study with us?
- Our Law graduates get jobs with 92% securing employment within four months of graduating.
- The Law School is Australia's premier clinical law school, offering advanced programs, training and mentoring from world-class academics and practicing professionals.
- Get two degrees plus a Diploma in less time - the combined law degree with the added option to complete the Diploma in Legal Practice mean you will complete three qualifications in only five years of study.
- Practise as soon as you graduate - With the Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice we are the only Law School in NSW where graduates can practise without any further study.
- Study at NeW Space. NeW Space, in Newcastle's CBD, provides the optimum environment for you to excel in your studies.
- Build your networks - The Law Students' Association (UNLSA) is at the heart of the student community and allows you to form relationships to help you at uni and beyond.
What will you study?
When you study a Bachelor of Laws (Honours) at the University of Newcastle you will graduate with a Bachelor of Laws (Honours) and a second Bachelor level degree in just five years of full-time study.
Whether you choose to practise law or pursue another career, the skills and extensive knowledge you acquire through this combined degree will be invaluable. You will graduate with skills and experience in:
- advanced research
- analytical problem solving
- high-level task management
- oral and written communication
All students who successfully complete their Bachelor of Laws will graduate with Honours at a level determined by your academic achievement across the whole course of study. You will receive in-depth training in legal research techniques, and be equipped with advanced skills suitable for high-level legal research work or further academic study.
The Bachelor of Laws (Honours) degree program is offered as a five-year full-time program in combination with another degree that interests you.
- Bachelor of Aboriginal Professional Practice / Bachelor of Laws (Honours)
- Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Laws (Honours)
- Bachelor of Business / Bachelor of Laws (Honours)
- Bachelor of Commerce / Bachelor of Laws (Honours)
- Bachelor of Communication / Bachelor of Laws (Honours)
- Bachelor of Development Studies / Bachelor of Laws (Honours)
- Bachelor of Innovation and Entrepreneurship / Bachelor of Laws (Honours)
- Bachelor of Science / Bachelor of Laws (Honours)
- Bachelor of Social Science / Bachelor of Laws (Honours)
In 2016, 92% of our law graduates went on to secure jobs in a diverse range of areas.