Make your mark by crafting strategies and solutions to various social challenges.
With our Bachelor of Social Science you will gain an empowering qualification that leads to rewarding careers in diverse fields. This degree will see you develop cultural sensitivity, ethical awareness and a solid understanding of the constructs that make the world go round.
Social Science is the study of social relationships, structures and issues. You will learn to analyse, challenge and gain insight into universally relevant theories about life cycle, gender, class, race, work, social justice and social organisation. You will also explore the exciting complexities of the human race and the societies in which we exist.
Why study with us?
- Pursue what interests you. Choose a specialisation from 11 diverse majors to enrich your learning and employment options.
- Graduate work-ready through hands-on learning and the opportunity for a minimum of 80 hours work experience.
- Be part of an enriched learning environment. 90% of our Social Science students are impressed with the teaching quality at UON and we are global leaders in the areas of Sociology and Geography.
- Develop in-demand skills transferrable across industries like advanced social research techniques, high-level communication, problem-solving, socio-cultural awareness and teamwork.
What will you study?
The core courses available when you study a Social Science degree include:
- applied social research (including an applied social research project)
- ethical debates in the social sciences
- organisational management and social behaviour
- policy development, program management and evaluation
- professional practice and key debates in the social sciences
- social analysis: key perspectives in the social sciences
- society and culture
In addition to your core courses, you have the opportunity to choose from 11 major areas of study to diversify your learning and career pathways. You can also undertake elective courses outside the Bachelor of Social Science.
Careers stemming from this degree are broad and varied. You will work closely with our Careers Service to align your majors and courses to where you would like to specialise.
Whatever your preferred career path (eco-tourism, event management, human services, human resources, global health to name a few), you will graduate from UON with work-ready skills and transferable attributes that are attractive to employers.
Common areas of employment for Bachelor of Social Science (Honours) graduates include social research, management and policy work for government and non-government agencies.
You may also find work in the private sector, particularly in areas relating to your major. For instance graduates of the Community Welfare and Human Services major may find work with a variety of government and private welfare agencies.