The Western world is moving towards a new era of health problems related to lifestyle and inactivity, while at the same time elite sport enjoys a high profile in the community. As a result, there is an increasing need for qualified specialists with an understanding of the relationship between exercise and health. With a focus on performance in sport and health, the Bachelor of Exercise and Sport Science will provide you with the skills to tackle these problems, ultimately contributing to a happier and healthier community.
When you study the Bachelor of Exercise and Sport Science at UON, you will benefit from a comprehensive approach to the study encompassing all aspects of physical health for the entire population. Our staff are highly trained and committed to high quality teaching and research in this field.
Why study with us?
- Strong industry ties with professional sporting teams including the Central Coast Mariners Football Club and the Newcastle Knights.
- Professionally accredited degree with Exercise and Sport Science Australia (ESSA).
- Integrated work experience - through the professional placement program students are provided with opportunities to gain valuable work experience with professional sporting teams, sports organisations, clinics and hospitals.
- Purpose-built facilities. Students learn in high quality laboratories with the latest testing equipment, as well as have access to a fully-stocked gym to aid with training.
What will you study?
The Bachelor of Exercise and Sport Science addresses both sport and health aspects in its comprehensive approach to the study of exercise. The first year of the degree provides an introduction to exercise and sport science and builds a strong foundation with a focus on general and biological sciences. In the second and third year, you will specialise in exercise and sport science working through a series of specific courses including:
- clinical exercise testing and prescription
- exercise physiology
- exercise testing and prescription
- growth, development and ageing
- motor control and learning
- sport and exercise psychology
- sports nutrition
When you study the Bachelor of Exercise and Sport Science, you can also choose from a number of relevant elective courses that complement the exercise and sport science degree, such as:
- health promotion
- physical education
- entrepreneurship and innovation
- sports management
As a graduate of the Exercise and Sport Science degree you will qualify for a wide range of careers. As more and more people realise the importance of exercise for our health, the career opportunities for exercise scientists are expanding. Examples include careers in a variety of roles in both public and private sector settings including:
- professional sporting teams
- sporting organisations
- gyms and fitness organisations
- education and health promotion