The MSc in Statistical Data Science is excellent preparation for careers in any field requiring a strong background in data science, with particular emphasis on statistics.
The programme, which has recently been updated, trains data scientists for posts in any of the multitude of companies and organisations that make use of data. Core modules give a thorough grounding in modern applications of statistics to data science and there is the opportunity to choose additional topics to study.
Knowledge and understanding
- Systematic understanding of probability and statistics and the range of principles involved.
- Awareness of links between different statistical concepts and methods.
- Advanced information technology skills relevant to statisticians.
- A comprehensive range of methods and techniques appropriate to statistics and data science at the postgraduate level.
- The role of logical mathematical argument and deductive reasoning.
- Appreciation of particular subject areas to which statistic and data science are applied, and the importance of the role of statistics in those areas.
- Ability to demonstrate knowledge of advanced statistical concepts and topics, both explicitly and by applying them to the solution of problems.
- Ability to demonstrate knowledge of statistical modelling techniques and their application.
- Ability to abstract the essentials of problems so as to facilitate modelling, statistical analysis and interpretation.
- Ability to present statistical analyses, including model-fitting, and draw conclusions with clarity and accuracy.
- Problem-solving skills; ability to work independently to solve problems involving qualitative or quantitative information.
- Communication skills, including the capacity to report to others on analyses undertaken.
- Computational skills.
- Information-retrieval skills involving a range of resources.
- Information technology skills including scientific word-processing.
- Time-management and organisational skills, as evidenced by the ability to plan and implement efficient and effective modes of working.
- Skills needed for continuing professional development.
- To give students the depth of technical appreciation and skills appropriate to masters' level students in Statistical Data Science.
- To equip students with a comprehensive and systematic understanding of theoretical and practical Statistical Data Science, and of ethical considerations related to the subject.
- To develop students' capacity for rigorous reasoning and precise expression.
- To develop students' capabilities to formulate and solve problems relevant to Statistical Data Science.
- To develop in students appreciation of recent developments in Statistical Data Science, and of the links between the theory of Statistics and their practical application.
- To develop in students a logical, mathematical approach to solving problems.
- To develop in students an enhanced capacity for independent thought and work.
- To ensure students are competent in the use of information technology, and are familiar with computers, together with the relevant software.
- To provide students with opportunities to study advanced topics in Statistics, engage in research at some level, and develop communication and personal skills.
- To provide successful students with the depth of knowledge of the subject sufficient to enter a career as a professional statistician.
- To provide successful students with eligibility for exemptions from examinations of the Royal Statistical Society.