The Digital Visual Effects MSc equips you with advanced skills, knowledge and understanding of high definition digital effects to help you become a highly skilled technical director (TD) in the visual effects industry.
This programme is entirely oriented towards current industrial needs, technology and practice and provides a direct route into the highly desirable creative industry. Our successful former students are working in London and for international companies in areas ranging from television graphics to architectural visualisation.
It covers 3D model building, texturing, lighting, rendering, procedural animation (cloth, hair, fur, dynamics), advanced compositing and high-definition digital effects. Although the thrust of the programme is towards high end film special effects and animation, the standards and techniques you learn will allow you to work in numerous other areas of digital effects.
Knowledge and understanding
You gain knowledge and understanding of:
- the computer animation production process and pipeline roles
- the principles and practices of animated film development
- the technical terms and methods used in film editing
- the fundamental concepts of digital video technology
- current developments in the visual effects industry and related market sectors
- the relevance of visual effects within the contemporary television and film industries
contemporary business practice in the visual effects industry
You develop intellectual skills in:
- the analysis and interpretation of animation issues
- the ability to work within an animation process and to contribute to this
- the ability to identify and solve complex problems and issues in the generation of a complex visual effect
- the ability to identify ideas for enhancing a production’s aesthetic quality by the use of complex video effect
- the ability to demonstrate independence and creative and critical thinking
- the ability to evaluate creatively evidence to support conclusions.
You gain subject-specific skills in:
- the use of appropriate software tools, techniques and packages to produce and develop complex visual effects
- the ability to use drawing as a way of planning, visualising and explaining work in a time-based medium
- the ability to read and make storyboards and animatics at a professional level
- the ability to apply management techniques to the planning, resource allocation and execution of a visual effects project
- the ability to prepare reports and presentations relevant to the design and production of visual effects.
You gain the following transferable skills:
- the ability to generate, analyse, present and interpret data
- use of information and communications technology
- personal and interpersonal skills, the exercise of initiative and personal responsibility as an individual and as a member of a team
- an ability to communicate effectively in writing, verbally and through drawings
- the ability for critical thinking, reasoning and reflection
- the ability to manage time and resources within an individual and group project
- the ability to learn effectively for the purpose of continuing professional development.
This programme aims to:
- enable you to develop your knowledge and understanding within the field of digital visual effects, which will equip you to become a professional in the animation and visual effects Industry
- train you in the requirements and skills needed for work in high definition
- produce professionally-trained technical directors who are highly skilled in using state of the art 3D modelling and visual effects software
- provide you with proper academic guidance and welfare support
- create an atmosphere of co-operation and partnership between staff and students, and offer you an environment where you can develop your potential.