Expand your knowledge and understanding of advanced laboratory analytical methods applied to forensic investigation. Select the most appropriate analytical techniques for forensic investigation and use a wide range of advanced analytic apparatus to evidential standards.
Reasons to study Forensic Science at Kent
- Research within Forensic Science at Kent explores mathematical and computational techniques and employs a wide variety of image processing and analysis methods for applications in many areas, including forensics and cyber security. The Group holds major grant funding from EPSRC. It has spawned a very successful spin-out company, Visionmetric Ltd.
- Our academic staff are leading experts in forensic science, ensuring you receive the best possible supervision. Find out about the staff who are open to supervising forensic science students, together with their research interests.
- The Forensic Science postgraduate programme helps you to develop an integrated and critical understanding of forensic science to prepare you to undertake professional forensic-related roles or a PhD in any associated discipline.
Knowledge and understanding
You gain knowledge and understanding in areas such as:
- advanced theory, concepts, and practice in relation to laboratory analysis and substances of abuse
- the command, management, logistics, and forensic implications of major and minor incidents such as air or rail accidents and crime scenes. Emergency and disaster planning, theory, practice, legislation, and implementation
- advance laboratory analytic methods and apparatus as applied to general analysis and forensic investigation
- the forensic application of DNA analysis, fire investigation, explosives and accelerants.
You develop intellectual skills in:
- critical thinking, reasoning and reflection
- the ability to recognise and solve forensic-related problems at an advanced level
- the ability to select the most appropriate techniques for a given analysis and to use a wide range of advanced analytic apparatus to evidential standards
- the ability to manage personnel and logistics in demanding and highly fluid environments.
You gain subject-specific skills in:
- the ability to source funding for, plan, and implement research projects
- the ability to identify, plan for and manage actual and potential threats in a range of environments
- the ability to prepare and present an incident management report to evidential standards, and to present such reports at court under hostile cross-examination
- the ability to perform advanced level analysis on a range of apparatus and to document such to evidential standards
- familiarity and competence to an advanced level in key items of forensic analytic apparatus.
You gain the following transferable skills:
- personal and interpersonal skills, working as a member of a team and as a team leader.
- effective research costing and planning
- skills relevant to a career in forensic science (practice or judiciary) and forensic research
- the ability to learn effectively for the purpose of continuing your professional development
- the ability to generate, analyse, interpret and present in a range of environments
- the ability to manage time and resources within an individual project and as a team manager.
This programme aims to:
- develop your integrated and critically aware understanding of forensic science and to prepare you to undertake a PhD in any associated disciplines
- prepare you for a professional role in forensic science within the criminal or civil judicial system, police, or forensic practice or research
- develop your command, control, and management skills in relation to major incidents, and to prepare and present expert evidential incident reports at court to the highest standard
- develop a clear recognition of the constraints and opportunities of the environment in which professional forensic science is carried out
- develop a variety of Masters’ level intellectual and transferable skills
- equip you with the learning skills to keep abreast of developments in the continually evolving field of forensic science and forensic investigation
- enable you to realise your academic potential.