Who is the programme for?
This Master's programme offers you the opportunity to attain academic recognition for the skills, knowledge and experience that you have developed in the workplace. Focusing on a specific area of practice relevant to your work, it builds on your work experience and qualifications to enhance your career progression.
You explore your profession further and consider the professional challenges associated within your specific area of practice, with modules that have been designed to help you review and analyse the current debates relevant to the professional context in which you are working.
Request for APECL (Accreditation of Prior Experiential and/or Certificated Learning) or Credit Transfer
You are encouraged to convert prior learning achievements into University of Kent academic credit via Accreditation of Prior Experiential and/or Certificated Learning. To be eligible for accreditation, prior learning must be at the appropriate and relevant to the programme's learning outcomes. For further information, visit: https://www.kent.ac.uk/cpp/programmes/apecl.html
Taught by expert academics, you broaden your expertise, deepen your knowledge and hone your research skills while gaining a recognised qualification to help progress your career. The programme is delivered through a variety of teaching methods, including taught sessions and work-based learning, self-study, case-study analysis, individual and group tutorials, projects and presentations. Online learning recourses are available on our virtual learning environment Moodle.
Teaching is delivered at our Medway campus on average four long weekends a year, Monday - Friday, 09.00-17.00.
Alternative exit awards
The programme has the following alternative exit awards, subject to credit numbers:
- Postgraduate Certificate in Professional Practice (60 credits)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Professional Practice (60 credits - 120 credits in total).
3 years part-time
Knowledge and understanding
You gain knowledge and understanding of:
- experiential learning, such as theory, concepts and how they apply to practice
- reflection on learning, leadership styles and approaches gained through practice
- principles of strategic decision making in organisations
- principles and practice involved in inter-professional working
- reflective evaluation in relation to theoretical methodological frameworks
- practice-based research and enquiry
- principles of theory testing in practice in relation to enhancing and developing practice
- project management skills
- professional knowledge in your special area of practice
- your professional profile in relation to current practice that informs into personal career plans.
You develop intellectual skills in the following:
- presenting critical, analytical reasoning and experiential learning in organised, written and oral formats
- the critical analysis of case studies
- engaging in experiential learning that demonstrably enhances practice
- the ability to develop a reflective professional portfolio
- the design and implementation of a programme of practice-based enquiry
- collecting and analysing qualitative or quantitative data from experiential learning to inform evidence-based enquiry
- designing, implementing, analysing and presenting a substantial research project (the dissertation).
You gain subject-specific skills in the following:
- engaging with members of multidisciplinary teams
- strategic operational planning for organisations
- being able to demonstrate an in-depth understanding of change management
- being able to enagage with evidence-based practice
- methodologies for evaluating analysing and appraising organisational practice.
You gain transferable skills in the following:
- report writing
- reflection on experiential learning
- effective use of skills related to experiential learning in a practice setting, to establish a future personal plan within the context of professional development
- independent learning skills required for continuing professional development.
This programme aims to:
- foster the intellectual and professional development of experienced practitioners to extend and deepen their analytical and critical reasoning capabilities underpinning practice-based learning
- develop experienced practitioners' competence in applying theoretical and practice skills to advance change and leadership in organisations
- equip experienced practitioners with the knowledge and understanding to enhance and extend their professional practice experience through work-based learning.
- enable you to develop your skills in higher-level reflection in relation to work-based practice
- provide experienced practitioners with opportunities to gain interdisciplinary perspectives on professional practice through collaborative inter/multidisciplinary exchange
- develop the critical and analytical capabilities of experienced practitioners in relation to project management, data analysis and interpretation of data
- provide supervision for advanced practitioner-centred research that builds a culture of critical evaluation and enquiry in the practice environment
- equip experienced practitioners for their role in challenging, questioning and realigning strategies for work-based practice
- develop practitioners who will actively participate in shaping strategic organisational interests
- develop opportunities for self-directed learning and reflection
- enable experienced practitioners from a diverse range of educational backgrounds to access and participate in learning that seeks to capture reflection on experience gained in everyday organisational practice
- enhance the experienced practitioner’s programme of personal development.