The MA in Architectural Visualisation is jointly taught by Kent School of Architecture and Planning and the School of Engineering and Digital Arts. Building on the successful Master's programmes in Computer Animation and Digital Visual Effects, this MA enables students to develop at an advanced level the skills, knowledge and understanding of digital simulation and 3D modelling which will equip them to become highly skilled professionals in architectural visualisation.
Drawing influence from both architecture and film, this programme offers a progression route into both industries, highlighting the different requirements needed for each profession while exploring the similarities of these markets. In this programme, the professions of architecture, film and animation fuse together, providing students with the ability and understanding to work in each or all of them.
The MA Architectural Visualisation blog.
Knowledge and understanding
You gain knowledge and understanding of:
- the computer animation production process and pipeline roles
- the principles of architectural modelling for visualisation and games
- the technical terms and methods used in film editing
- the fundamental concepts of digital video technology
- current developments in the architectural visualisation industry and related market sectors
- the relevance of architectural visualisation within the contemporary television and film industries
- the cultural context of architecture in film.
You develop intellectual skills in:
- the analysis and interpretation of 3D modelling issues.
- the ability to relate technological options to practical implementation.
- the ability to identify and solve complex problems and issues in the generation of an architectural visualisation
- the ability to identify ideas for enhancing a production’s aesthetic quality by the use of complex video effects
- the ability to demonstrate independence and creative and critical thinking
- the ability to evaluate creatively evidence to support conclusions.
You gain subject-specific skills in:
- use of appropriate software tools, techniques and packages to produce and develop complex architectural visualisations
- the ability to use drawing as a way of planning, visualising and explaining work in a time-based medium
- the ability to read and make storyboards and animatics at a professional level
- the ability to apply management techniques to the planning, resource allocation and execution of an architectural visualisation project
- the ability to prepare reports and presentations relevant to architectural representation and visualisation.
You gain the following transferable skills:
- the ability to generate, analyse, present and interpret data
- use of information and communications technology
- personal and interpersonal skills, working as a member of a team
- an ability to communicate effectively, in writing, verbally and through drawings
- the ability for critical thinking, reasoning and reflection
- the ability to manage time and resources within an individual and group project
- the ability to learn independently for the purpose of continuing professional development.
This programme aims to:
- enable you to develop advanced level skills, knowledge and understanding of digital simulation and 3D modelling, which will equip you to become a highly skilled professional in architectural visualisation
- train you in the requirements and skills needed for work in high definition
- produce professionally-trained architectural visualisers who are highly skilled in using state-of-the-art 3D modelling and visual effects software
- provide proper academic guidance and welfare support for all students
- create an atmosphere of co-operation and partnership between staff and students, and offer you an environment where you can develop your potential.