This programme offers an opportunity for Higher Education (HE) professionals to deepen their understanding of principles, theoretical concepts and the policy context of HE.
Practice-based specialist modules are combined with modules supporting the development of research skills, culminating in a dissertation for the MA. The emphasis throughout is on a critical understanding of the HE context and its implications for academic work in the 21st century.
2 years part-time
Knowledge and understanding
You gain knowledge and understanding of:
- current policy issues in higher education in its broadest sense
- principles, concepts and theoretical perspectives relevant to the study of higher education
- the implications of policy and theoretical perspectives for practice in higher education
- research methods appropriate to the study of higher education
- concepts of professionalism in higher education.
You develop intellectual skills in:
- the ability to locate and critically evaluate relevant data, such as research materials and texts
- the ability to critically reflect on practice in context
- the ability to exercise initiative in planning and conducting research (pure and for applied practice) and communicate the results of that research to broader communities, both specialist and non-specialists
You gain subject-specific skills in:
- analysing current policy issues in higher education and their implications for higher education contexts and practices
- showing an understanding of different conceptual bases of higher education, including differing interpretations of its nature and purposes
- critically evaluating the broader context of principles, policies and processes and their impact on practice
- developing an area of specialist study in the field of higher education
- designing, developing and executing a research project.
You gain the following transferable skills:
- organising and managing your own learning
- developing an understanding of a range of approaches and beliefs that inform higher education policy and practice
- developing the capacity to communicate research clearly and coherently (speech and writing) to specialist and non-specialist audiences.
This programme aims to:
- develop your knowledge and skills by focusing on principles, concepts and theoretical perspectives relevant to the study of higher education (HE)
- develop your capacity to analyse the implications of principles and policy for HE contexts and practice
- enable you to design, execute and communicate the results of a research project in your specialist area of study.