Kent Business School (KBS) is a leading business school accredited by The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AASCB). This places KBS within the top institutions globally for business degrees, with only 5% of the world’s business schools.
As a student at Kent Business School, you also have the opportunity to gain the Chartered Management Institute’s (CMI) Level 5 Professional Certificate in Management and Leadership alongside your degree.
Our degree programme
The programme develops your leadership skills in relation to decision-making, problem-solving, teamworking, negotiation and employee performance management. It produces graduates who can pursue
operational line management positions in a range of diverse
organisations, including public, private and non-profit, as a stepping
stone to senior management positions.
You gain the skills and knowledge essential for managing key areas of organisations, including accounting, human resources, quantitative
methods, marketing, strategy and operations. You also develop an
understanding of the role and interrelationship between strategic
management, human resource management and operations management.
Graduates of the Management BSc have an appreciation of the global
challenges facing managers from both an operational and a strategic
perspective, and are sensitive to the need for business ethics and
corporate social responsibility to be an integral part of management
policy and practice.
Our Management programme is also available as a joint honours degree
with, for example, Economics or a modern European language.
Year in industry
You have the option to take this programme with a year in industry. For details, see Management with a Year in Industry.
Kent Business School has excellent links with business schools globally, including in China, USA, Hong Kong, France, Germany, Spain, Sweden and Italy. Our wide array of exchange partners give you the opportunity to gain international experience. Our partners are committed to enhancing their international outlook while providing excellent teaching. You will gain invaluable work experience, develop your understanding of a new culture and improve your language skills.
Our exchange partners include these top ranked institutions amongst others:
University of Technology, SydneyRenmin University of China, School of BusinessUniversity of Hong KongESSECNeoma Business SchoolFreie Universitat BerlinUniversity of FlorenceIE Madrid UniversityStockholm Business SchoolGeorgetown University.
studies, you can discover how to turn your idea into a successful business at
our ASPIRE centre, which provides practical advice and
support, and runs our Business Start-up Journey initiative.
We use a variety of teaching methods, including lectures, case-study analysis, group projects and presentations, and problem-based learning scenarios and management simulations. Assessment is by a mixture of coursework and written examinations.
Knowledge and understanding
You gain knowledge and understanding of:
- the impact of external factors on key strategic decisions relating to the performance and competitiveness of business operations in a global and local context
- key theories and research on effective leadership and management development, including cross-cultural challenges of managing in an international context
- the main theories, frameworks and practices relating to employee performance management
- a range of theories, models, frameworks and research directed at improving operational performance in relation to customer satisfaction, supply chain management, sustainability and business excellence
- approaches to fostering innovative, enterprising and creative business solutions in organisations and the digital age
- research and consultancy methodologies appropriate to the analysis and evaluation of business management problems.
You develop the ability to:
- evaluate the importance of subject-specific facts, theories, paradigms, principles and concepts in relation to their ability to explain and solve problems
- assess and critically evaluate evidence with detailed reference to methodology and the source of data
- critically analyse the strengths and weaknesses of the analytical techniques employed in empirical data
- analyse and synthesise information and present a structured and evidential reinterpretation of the information, which can be used to give an insight into issues relevant to a business and management context
- develop a reasoned and well-structured argument that challenges underlying assumptions
- reflect critically upon own learning and continuing professional development.
You develop the ability to:
- manage people effectively demonstrating team building and leadership skills as well as sensitivity to intercultural issues
- demonstrate competence in analysis and interpretation of business performance data
- plan and execute a sustained piece of independent work to a set time frame
- use information technology to record and communicate business data in a logical and accurate manner
- select and apply a range of appropriate quantitative and qualitative methods to investigate business problems
- employ a range of techniques associated with managing and improving organisational performance in the digital age.
You develop the ability to:
- work and learn independently, exercising initiative, self-discipline and responsibility for personal development
- demonstrate an awareness of international management issues and challenges
- take a creative, innovative and adaptable approach to change
- demonstrate professional interpersonal communications and networking skills
- work effectively in teams, demonstrating leadership skills
- exercise ethical risk-taking and decision making.