Kent is a leading centre for social psychology – the study of human behaviour in a social environment – and we also have strengths in cognitive, forensic and developmental psychology. Passionate about research, our academics are world-leading experts and can inspire you to develop your own ideas and become an independent thinker.
Our Psychology with Clinical Psychology degree offers a high level of professional skills and can be the first step to becoming a health or social care professional.Our degree programme
On this programme, you gain a broad background in practical applications, experimental and other methodologies, information technology and theory construction. Our modules cover a wide range of topics such as child development, language, mental health, motivation, and forensic psychology. You can also gain direct experience of research through the:
- Research Participation Scheme (where you take part in a project as a participant)
- Research Experience Scheme (where you gain hands-on experience of working on a project and a reference at the end)
- Work Experience Scheme (where you volunteer with a local organisation – such as a school, college, prison or hospital – and collaborate on a project).
The lecturers have a friendly approach to teaching and you get a high level of academic support via lectures, seminars and one-to-one feedback.
In your final year, you take specialist clinical psychology modules and can also choose other specialist modules in areas of particular interest to you. All your work will help you to demonstrate transferable skills valued by employers.Year on placement
You have the option to take this programme with a year of professional experience. For more details, see Psychology with Clinical Psychology with a Placement Year.Study resources
The School of Psychology is in a modern building with state-of-the-art teaching facilities and two computer rooms. Our specialised equipment includes:
- eye-tracker technology
- electroencephalography (EEG) equipment for monitoring brain function
- brain stimulation laboratories
- physiology laboratories
- child-friendly testing spaces
- a virtual reality laboratory
- group dynamics laboratories
- observation suites.
The Psychology Society is run by Kent students. Previous activities include talks by guest speakers and the chance for students to publish work in the Student Journal of Psychology.
The School of Psychology also puts on many events that you are welcome to attend. These may include:
- research seminars led by leading psychologists
- professional development workshops
- informal staff presentations followed by open discussion.