Our combined subject degree offers an academically rigorous approach to the study of mediated cultural forms, practices and technologies and their vital social, political and economic implications alongside journalism skills. We examine a range of areas, from digital media and journalism, to the creative and cultural industries, to social identities and subcultures. In addition, you are introduced to some basic journalism skills like reporting and feature writing that position you well for a variety of careers in the media sector and beyond.
At Kent, Cultural Studies and Media is part of the School of Social Policy, Sociology and Social Research so you benefit from a large choice of specialist modules on race, social change, criminal justice or disability and the arts. You are taught by leading academics and have the opportunity to choose modules from a wide range of subject areas.
Our journalism modules are taught by working professionals in print, digital, radio and television journalism.
Our degree programme
You begin with modules that offer an introduction to journalism skills and provide an overview of different cultural and sociological theories that address ‘culture’, ‘media’ and ‘society’ as part of a broader global and historical context. Your journalism skills are developed further in your second year.
You also learn how to conduct and apply qualitative sociological research that explores mass media and advertising; digital media technologies; news and journalism; television and film, to name a few.
In your final year of study, there is an option to take a dissertation module on a subject of your choice, which allows you to focus in detail on an area you are particularly passionate about.
Approximately 70% of the modules you take are from the discipline of Cultural Studies and Media with the remaining 30% of modules from Journalism.
The programme is entirely taught at the Canterbury campus, but you may select to study optional modules taught at the Centre for Journalism on the Medway campus. The Centre for Journalism offers a full range of editorial resources including audio and video editing, cameras and autocues, wire feeds from the Press Association, and video feeds from Reuters World News. We offer a free shuttle service between the campuses during term time to ease your commute.
You have access to a wide range of topical journals and books through our libraries at both Canterbury and Medway.
At the Kent Student Media Centre we provide excellent studio facilities and an editing suite. You may use these together with your peers to create your own digital, television or print media content and gain some useful professional skills along the way. You may even want to join Kent’s newspaper InQuire or our student television station KTV. There are also a number of student-led societies relating to your interests such as:
UKC Digital Media Socrates SocietyPublishing SocietyFeminist Society.
There are events available throughout the year for students from the School of Social Policy, Sociology and Social Research. These may include:
research seminars and webcasts career development workshops informal lectures by guest experts followed by group discussion.
The Centre of Journalism also offers a variety of events that include socials, seminars and masterclasses and they have previously hosted:
Jon Snow – presenter of Channel 4 News Alex Crawford – five times RTS TV journalist of the year Faisal Islam – Political Editor, Sky News.
We use a variety of teaching methods, including lectures, case study analysis, group projects and presentations, and individual and group tutorials. You gain the following subject-specific skills:
- Conception and application of cross-disciplinary strategies of investigation of cultural and media issues, themes, topics.
- The ability to identify and analyse ethical and political subject matters represented in media culture of all kinds.
- The ability to account for and criticise the interrelation of aesthetic cultural practices and forms and the social and political contexts of their emergence and affect.
- The ability to evaluate theoretical models and paradigms of cultural and media production, consumption and reception.
- The ability to integrate diverse sources of cultural information and produce new knowledge.
Knowledge and understanding