Improve your employability, salary prospects and professional knowledge with our 100% online and part-time Postgraduate Diploma in Business with Finance*.
This programme will equip you with a thorough understanding of the theories and practices used in modern business environments. Whether you want to work for a private, public or non-profit making organisation, this course will help you to develop both cross functional abilities and transferable skills.
In addition to introducing key management and business theories, this Postgraduate Diploma in Business with Finance also allows you to develop specialised financial knowledge including financial management theories, techniques, models and more.
Upon completion of your Postgraduate Diploma, we offer the opportunity for you to progress to study for a full Masters (awarded after 180 credits).
* The start date and details of this course are still subject to University approval. In the event that approval is not granted by your course start date, an alternative date will be offered or a full refund given. If we need to make changes to this programme as part of the University of Essex validation process, we will communicate these to you at the earliest possible date.
The Postgraduate Diploma in Business with Finance is made up of the following modules and, upon completion, is equal to a total of 120 credits at Level 7.
Level 7 modules:
- Management: Principles and Practices (20 credits)
- Leadership in Practice (20 credits)
- Economics for Managers (20 credits)
- Financial Decision Making (20 credits)
- Project Management (10 credits)
- Business Strategy (10 credits)
- Financial Management (20 credits)
Upon completion of your PG Dip Business with Finance we offer the opportunity for you to progress on to study for an MSc Business with Finance (180 credits).
Learning and assessment
Studying online gives you the freedom to study when and where it suits you - at home, during your lunch hour or anywhere else you have internet access.
All of our online courses have an indicative study duration which is a guide to how long your course will take to complete. The actual duration may be longer or shorter depending on your speed of study, study options chosen and module availability. It's possible to complete your studies faster than the indicative course duration by doubling up on modules at certain times; however, minimum study durations do apply.
All of our courses have regular start dates throughout the year. Our academic year is organised into modules, typically with a one- or two-week break between modules and a structured three-week break for the Christmas period. Students will receive a course timetable during the application process.
Teaching methods and style
As we are a 100% online university, we utilise a virtual learning environment instead of a traditional campus. The system tracks and manages the learning process in real-time and provides you with immediate access to your learning materials.
This learning platform allows both students and tutors to actively take part in real-time conversations and you can listen to, and view, live lectures and seminars over the internet. All courses are delivered in English only.
You are supported throughout your course by a dedicated Student Adviser and have the opportunity to regularly interact with fellow students and your tutor. To ensure you receive the support you need from your tutor, we cap our class sizes at 20 students.
We adopt an assignment-based approach to assessment instead of exams. Assessment for the Postgraduate Diploma in Business with Finance is based on a combination of written coursework.
You are always aware of your current provisional grade right from the start of the programme, allowing you to evaluate the success of your current study methods and clearly identify areas to improve. We believe that this transparency gives you the information you need to make the most of your course. We achieve this by:
- showing your marks clearly in your gradebook, which can be viewed whenever you log onto the learning platform
- the rapid turnaround of work assessed to ensure that your gradebook is always up to date
- assessing your work throughout the module rather than waiting for end of year exams
- ensuring you have regular contact with your Student Adviser
- the simplicity and transparency in the design of our assessment criteria
We also have a policy of ensuring that work submitted by students is authentic. As well as the fact that all work is frequently assessed, we use a well-established electronic monitoring system to check for plagiarism.
We are dedicated to improving employability amongst our graduates. Our online courses give you the opportunity to improve your career prospects and earning potential with a mix of key skills that are directly transferable to the workplace.
A postgraduate qualification is a major achievement and is greatly valued by employers.
The specialist knowledge and understanding you gain on our PG Dip Business with Finance can improve your employability and career prospects.
The course will also help you to develop a number of key transferable skills that will help you stand out from the crowd in almost any industry. These include communication skills, problem-solving, critical thinking and more.