Business and marketing are both valuable areas of expertise in modern business environments, and our MSc Business with Marketing will prepare you for a senior role in any number of industries*.
Graduates from this programme will be able to demonstrate a comprehensive in-depth knowledge of management interaction and team building with areas of specialisation, examine and appraise research methods and technological skills and more.
Throughout the course, you'll also develop a number of advanced cognitive skills including critical-thinking, analysis, data evaluation and many more.
This innovative programme also allows you to specialise in a number of key areas that interest you, or might benefit your specific career path; these include Business Strategy, Marketing Strategy & Management, Financial Management and more.
The programme also gives you the opportunity to undertake independent research and create a 40-credit Business and Management Research Report.
* The start date and details of this course are still subject to University approval. In the event that approval is not granted by your course start date, an alternative date will be offered or a full refund given. If we need to make changes to this programme as part of the University of Essex validation process, we will communicate these to you at the earliest possible date.
The MSc Business with Marketing degree is made up of the following modules and, upon completion, is equal to a total of 180 credits at Level 7.
Level 7 modules:
- Marketing Strategy & Management (20 credits)
- Marketing Principles & Practices (20 credits)
- Management: Principle and Practices (20 credits)
- Leadership in Practice (20 credits)
- Economics for Managers (20 credits)
- Research Methods (20 credits)*
- Business and Management Research Report (40 credits)*
- One or two optional modules from the list below to equal 20 credits
- Financial Management (20 credits)
- Business Strategy (10 credits)
- Project Management (10 credits)
- Managing across Cultures (10 credits)
- Human Resource Management (10 credits)
- Human Resource Management in Context (10 credits)
- Financial Decision Making (20 credits)
* These modules are core and must be passed in order to achieve the award.
Learning and assessment
Studying online gives you the freedom to study when and where it suits you - at home, during your lunch hour or anywhere else you have internet access.
All of our online courses have an indicative study duration which is a guide to how long your course will take to complete. The actual duration may be longer or shorter depending on your speed of study, study options chosen and module availability. It's possible to complete your studies faster than the indicative course duration by doubling up on modules at certain times; however, minimum study durations do apply.
All of our courses have regular start dates throughout the year. Our academic year is organised into modules, typically with a one- or two-week break between modules and a structured three-week break for the Christmas period. Students will receive a course timetable during the application process.
Teaching methods and style
As we are a 100% online university, we utilise a virtual learning environment instead of a traditional campus. The system tracks and manages the learning process in real-time and provides you with immediate access to your learning materials.
This learning platform allows both students and tutors to actively take part in real-time conversations and you can listen to, and view, live lectures and seminars over the internet. All courses are delivered in English only.
You are supported throughout your course by a dedicated Student Adviser and have the opportunity to regularly interact with fellow students and your tutor. To ensure you receive the support you need from your tutor, we cap our class sizes at 20 students.
Our MSc Business with Marketing course includes both compulsory and optional modules, so you can tailor the content of your course to more closely fit your interests and aspirations.
We adopt an assignment-based approach to assessment instead of exams. Assessment for the MSc Business with Marketing is based on a combination of written coursework and work on a dissertation or individual project.
You are able to see your current provisional marks from the start of the programme, allowing you to evaluate the success of your current study methods and clearly identify areas to improve. We believe that this transparency gives you the information you need to make the most of your Masters course. We achieve this by:
- showing your marks clearly in your gradebook, which can be viewed whenever you log onto the learning platform
- the rapid turnaround of work assessed to ensure that your gradebook is always up to date
- assessing your work throughout the module rather than waiting for end of year exams
- ensuring you have regular contact with your Student Adviser
- the simplicity and transparency in the design of our assessment criteria
We also have a policy of ensuring that work submitted by students is authentic. As well as the fact that all work is frequently assessed, we use a well-established electronic monitoring system to check for plagiarism.
On successful completion of your MSc Business with Marketing degree, you will be invited to attend a graduation ceremony at the University of Essex, Colchester Campus.
We are dedicated to improving employability amongst our graduates. Our online courses give you the opportunity to improve your career prospects and earning potential with a mix of key skills that are directly transferable to the workplace.
Whatever career goal you aspire to, this MSc Business with Marketing will prepare you for a senior-level position in any number of private, public and non-profit making organisations.
The subject-specific and transferable skills that you will develop will boost you confidence and enable you to progress in almost any industry.