Combine Early Childhood Studies with another subject ' and build a versatile portfolio of skills and knowledge which will impress potential employers.
- Education at Derby has been ranked in the Top 25 in the Guardian League Table 2020
- Explore how children develop, learn and think through inspiring modules which will challenge your ideas about childhood
- Make the most of the exciting new career opportunities emerging for professionals working with children
- Develop transferable skills such as teamwork and research which will serve you well in any career
- Benefit from the expertise of a dedicated academic team who will ensure your learning is relevant and up to date
- Chart your future direction at a university with a strong track record for employability: 96% of Derby graduates were in work or further study within six months of completing a full-time degree.
This is a challenging and varied joint honours degree which opens the door to fulfilling careers in many walks of life, including roles where you can shape and influence young lives.
Explore how children develop
You'll gain a thorough understanding of early childhood, exploring how children develop, learn and think from birth to eight years.
Our focus is on the importance of identifying and meeting children's needs, so you'll also consider all the challenges and opportunities faced by early years professionals working in a variety of children's services.
The course offers fascinating insights into childhood from a broad range of perspectives. We encourage you to draw on your own experiences in early years to enhance your knowledge.
Expertise to inspire you
Our course is delivered by a highly experienced team who come from wide-ranging professional backgrounds including early years, primary teaching, school and nursery management, social work, health visiting, nursing and midwifery.
They include influential researchers and published authors, which means your course is shaped by the latest thinking and innovative ideas which are changing the face of early childhood studies.
Our staff have investigated important subjects spanning everything from creativity for early years professionals to social constructions of childhood, from the pressures faced by new parents to ways of engaging fathers in early years settings.
A vibrant learning experience
We pride ourselves on offering a friendly, welcoming learning environment where you will receive plenty of encouragement and guidance. Our tutors are approachable, dedicated and passionate about their subjects.
An exciting choice of combinations
The benefits of a Joint Honours degree are that you can keep your options open, extend your career scope and build a flexible, wide-ranging set of skills.
You can combine Early Childhood Studies with a variety of other subjects at Derby. Popular choices include Sociology, Education Studies, Psychology, Popular Culture and Media, Theatre Arts, Sport and Exercise Studies, Maths, English and Law.