Science (MPhil, PhD)

University of Derby the United Kingdom

For more information about Science at University of Derby, please visit the webpage using the button above.

The award
MPhil, PhD

How long you will study
find out

Domestic course fees
find out

How you will study
full-time, part-time

Course starts
January, March, September, June

International course fees
find out

All study options

About Science at University of Derby

  • By studying for a PhD or MPhil you can gain a strong knowledge and understanding of the subject and then establish yourself as an expert in your area of interest.
  • You'll be supported throughout the duration of your studiesby your allocated research supervisor.
  • There is the opportunity to study alongside other research students who come from a diverse range of backgrounds and countries, which can help to enhance your learning experience.
  • We have research centres and groups looking intoa range oftopicsof which you can become involved in.
  • You have the option to study full-time or part-time.

Research is an important component of academic life. It plays a major role in supporting what we teach to our students, and directly helps organisations to solve real world issues.

You can undertake a negotiated programme of research leading to the award of either a Master of Philosophy degree or a Doctor of Philosophy degree.

These higher degrees are awarded in recognition of a successful period of research training normally culminating in the production of a thesis.

Study options for this course

  • The award How you will study How long you will study Course starts Domestic course fees International course fees
  • The awardMPhil, PhDHow you will studyFull-time, Part-timeHow long you will study find out
    Course startsJanuary, March, September, JuneDomestic course fees find outInternational course fees find out

Entry requirements

Entry requirements

Applicants for research degrees should normally hold an honours degree from a UK University, or qualifications or experience which are deemed by the University to be equivalent.

Language requirements

Applicants who do not hold a UK, EEA, or Swiss passport must also provide an IELTS certificate showing that you meet our entry requirements. Research programmes require a minimum of IELTS 7, with 7 in writing and a minimum 6.5 in other elements (reading, speaking and listening) is expected. Please note that English language certificates are only valid for two years.

Please note that you do not need to supply an IELTS certificate if you have completed a degree from a predominantly English-speaking country, as defined by the UKVI; or if you have citizenship of a predominantly English-speaking country, as defined by the UKVI.

Join Our Newsletter


Sign up to today for free and be the first to hear about any new study abroad opportunities

Subscribe Now